Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-27-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
T5 lighting for my 75

Looking at a T5 w/ moonlight setup by odessey. Anyone hear of the brand? how is it? People are asking $150, they say its 4 months old.

95 Gallon reef system
Hinds04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

That company doesn't have the best reputation. Basically known for cheap fixtures that fail or short out and are fire hazards. You get what you pay for. If I were you, I would look into retro-fit kits or a reputable name such as Current USA.

Any questions? Feel free to PM me.
Hitchhikers on live rock? http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Don't go with Odyssea. I was looking at their product on ebay for $300 (new) with 2 MH lights. Confused at the $500 under market price, I did my research and found a lot of complaints. Basically, I found out that unless you're handy with electrical and willing to upgrade the Icecaps and ballast and the bulbs it comes with, then go for it. Otherwise, just buy the name brand and save yourself the frustration.

I was going to get the 48" AquaticLife Six Lamp T5 for my 55gallon because I really wanted the moonlight LEDs, but it was too wide. Now I am going to purchase the Current Nova Extreme T5 light fixture, which is basically the same, just no built-in timer or moonlights.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
current makes decent fixtures, and from time to time they sell refurbished models on ebay.
also "tek" lights from sunlight supply will also do the job well.
these are both middle of the road manufacturers.

btw, moonlights are overrated. you really can't see much when you view the tank with them on, and there has been no data proving that the simulated moonlights promote spawning. if that was the case, ambient lighting from the room is all you need.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Have one. Dont like it. Salt creep got into the moonlights. They dont work now and cant be replaced. Have to buy moonlights separate.
dlsrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
The only time I like the moonlights is if they are actinic. If this is the case having only them on at night will make anything they shine on look amazing.

If the lunar cycle triggers breeding in corals than your moonlights should mimic the lunar cycle (slowly get brighter, then dimmer, then brighter again across the course of a month) not just be on all night every night at the same strength.

The Tek lights are nice, you can adjust their height if you hang them on their hanging kit or you can let them sit on the tank with their mounting legs.

Current has started specializing in just HOT5s though so they have really stepped up their game. Check them both out and see what will work best for you, remember you get what you pat for.
Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
My vote is for TEK, I've used Current and Odyssea and prefer the TEK over all of them. What ever you decide to do with T5's you want to make sure that each bulb has it's own reflector.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to skratchiechan
just got aquatic t5 4 bulb. really nice fixture, look into those
skratchiechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to skratchiechan
here it is

skratchiechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
I just ordered a T5, 4 bulb light fixture by Odessey, free light bulbs total 216 watts, from Aqua Traders. Qualifies for free shipping. If this is what you want they are on sale for $98.90 and they go fast. I have had to wait 2 weeks for the new shipment to arrive. Next shipment might be higher than the &98.90. I was looking at another brand with 2 bulbs total watts of 54, for $ 125.00 plus shipping, prior to finding these. Hope this helps. This is for my 75 gallon tank as well. Good Luck

Rebel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lighting, t5 light, t5 lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com