T5 lighting for reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would
T5 HO DIY Retrofit Kit 2 x 48"/54W T-5 Reef Lighting
s.gif
be good enough for a 55 gallon aqaurium with corals? If it is what corals would i be able to have? the size of the aquarium is 48 * 21 H * 14 W.

i think your going to need more light then that.

i have a 20 gallon tank and i have a 65watt pc light, about to have to get another 65 watt pc for the same tank. 130 watts total, you have a larger tank and less light then i w/ a smaller tank an i may not be able to have stony corals yet. i think youll need about 8 or so watts per gallon for stony. which you are way under.

in your case, you should be able to keep polyps and a leather, just soft corals.

there are some great corals that dont really require light though, they simply need to be fed through out the week, you may want to look into it if you dont mind spending time w/ your coral and feeding it w/out running up the light bill.

T5 fixtures are nice lights for mid sized reefs like that and tanks with out a ton of depth. I would go with a 4 or 6 bulb fixture though depending on what kind of corals you want to keep. Are you looking to have SPS corals in your tank?

I posted earlier that I thought you would be OK but then I saw you had only 2 bulbs and I changed my mind. I agree that the 5 or 6 bulb will be better.

Definitely get the parabolic reflectors as well.

Thanks guys i think i'll stick to the low light corals

Hey, since were on the subject of lighting, I have a 48"x24"x30" tank with 8 T5-54W. Blue, white and purple.I didn't install it so I don't know if that I have is good or not.

Back
Top Bottom