T5 Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,

What do you folks think about T5 lights? From the brief introduction I have had, they seem to be quite good, if not a little expensive however.

Any thoughts? I am considoring them over power compacts.

I just bought an 8 bulb T5 retro kit from PSL on e-bay

I had them use individual reflectors for each light...which is the benefit of T5

I also I had him put a set of moonlights down the center of the fixture...all for $350 to my door which isn't bad...I'll let you know the quality when I get it next week

So funny you post this today. My friend and I just upgraded his 2X54W T-5 retro to an Ebay 8X54W retro last night. He now has 10X54W T-5s spread out evenly with 11K 03s. Here is a pic of the outcome.

We fired it up last night about 10:00 when we finished it, and its super bright. There was even a faint hint of glitter action on the upper rock work it is so intense. Anyhow, im VERY impressed and think you'll be plenty happy with your purchase.

Attachments

• jeffsretro.jpg
    jeffsretro.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 44
here's a link to all you need to know about them, pending you take time to sift thru it all and read what you can.

Well, actually 2 links
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=561864&highlight=T5+AND+light

and

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=584486&highlight=T5+AND+light

I think the first one is better info. Read what you can. They discuss in detail all the good/bad things. When I first read a short segment on them, I thought oh wow, i'll get the 8x 54 watt over a 55 gallon since they are a little brighter, and that would be perfect! little did I know these lights are waay too bright for lower light corals/shrooms. I've decided to go w/ a 6 bulb fixture and only run 4 bulbs at a time, then the last 2 for a little while for a dusk/dawn effect.

HTH
-Stewie

thats what I figured I would do...
8am-2 blue on
9am-2 more blue on
10am-2 10k on
12pm...if needed 2 more 10k
2pm-if I used the other 10 then they would go off
4pm-10k off
6pm-2 blue off
8pm-darkness

I have a 90gal tank...with the extra depth I think the shrooms and lower light stuff will be fine...I'll put higher light corals towards the top

Depending on how deep your tank is, that fixture should support most any demanding coral with no problems. Its pretty much the same amount of power as a 2X250W metal halide setup, and they are so efficient you get more out of it than even that most likely. Just something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom