T5 NO vs. LED?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saradomin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I can't decide between the Marineland Single Bright and the Coralife/Aqueon dual T5 NO.

Which one will give me better color and which one will give me more light?

The t5, what's your budget? Tank? Wants??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Honestly, they are all sub par fixtures at best. I agree with brook, we need more information to make a good suggestion for you.

Yeah, Ive found thats its better to just buy a good fixture from the get go. Id been hopping around junk t-5 ho fixtures for about 2 hers now and just decided to pull the trigger on a Build my Led that will arrive today. Why not got finnex planted +? A great fixture for almost any application. Highlight on shallow tank and low-medium on a tall tank. If you need more light just add another and the price is pretty good for a quality product.

I purchased a Coralife dual t5no two years ago and found it was not suitable for the planted tank I had envisioned. However, it is still in use over my shrimp tank where the crypts and moss (and recently some transplants from my planted tank) are doing fine. If you are looking for lowlight (slow plant growth) then this would work. Anything more and you might/will be disappointed.
I bought it because it was inexpensive though I had not done my research (like you are doing).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The lights are for my 125 or 135 gallon CA/SA cichlid aquarium so no plants.

I purchased a Coralife dual t5no two years ago and found it was not suitable for the planted tank I had envisioned. However, it is still in use over my shrimp tank where the crypts and moss (and recently some transplants from my planted tank) are doing fine. If you are looking for lowlight (slow plant growth) then this would work. Anything more and you might/will be disappointed.
I bought it because it was inexpensive though I had not done my research (like you are doing).

How bright is it? Do you have any pictures that I can see?

Cichlid tank? Get a current sat plus! You'll thank me later;)

The Coralife T5NO: It's brighter than a single T-8 if that helps. Here is a pic of a 30" fixture on a 20g long (tank height is 12"):
HTVhJhW.png

Really cannot comment on how well fish look under it. I'd trust Brookster's input (^^^) on this.

The Coralife T5NO: It's brighter than a single T-8 if that helps. Here is a pic of a 30" fixture on a 20g long (tank height is 12"):
HTVhJhW.png

Really cannot comment on how well fish look under it. I'd trust Brookster's input (^^^) on this.

Thanks for the picture. That's the color that I am looking for.

Cichlid tank? Get a current sat plus! You'll thank me later;)

I wish I could get two Satellites, but they're past my budget. Maybe in the future I can get some and make my tank really bright and colorful. :cool:

What's your budget?

You don't need fancy lighting if you're doing a cichlid tank. Save your money and just go with the t5s.

They also have cheap LED spotlights that are awesome for fish only setups. Many cichlid enthusiasts use them to light their fish rooms. You won't have to replace bulbs either so a good long term deal as well. Happy new year! (y)

Back
Top Bottom