T5 or VHO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok I pretty much ready to get my new hood I have
selected between two both offer 3 HQI 250 MH one has 4
80 watt T5 lights the other has 2 160 VHO so produce
the same wattage simuler cost but which do you
think is better for the tank is a 6 foot 24" tall 4-5
inches of sand and about 20" wide. the main thing to
me is having the corals alowing for what ever I would like in the tank
clams etc happy! :!: both hood are made in the US also just for the record!

your t-5's will put of less heat put possablly cost more to replace.i would go with the t-5,s. i think you would have more control over your lighting. jmo

with the proper reflector the light from T-5 HO bulbs is alot more intence then VHO.. so you might want to be carefull asuming that the wattages are the same.. If you want clams.. get good reflectors (Teck, Icecap SLR's or parobolic like shaped) with the T5 HO's.. if there not HO... as in normal T5's your going to be better off with VHO.

comparing lumens to watts with T5-HO and VHO..
110 watts of VHO has roughly 6,000 lumens..
54 watts of T5 HO has roughly 5,000 lumens..
the PAR data is nearly equal for these two lamps.. the wattage number is irrelevant..

side note.. the only thing that makes MH better then T5 HO is the fact that its point sorce.. in other words if the light it too intense directly under it you can move the lesser light needing critters away from it.. T5 HO is liniar it doesnt give you that option.. HTH

greenmaji said:
comparing lumens to watts with T5-HO and VHO..
110 watts of VHO has roughly 6,000 lumens..
54 watts of T5 HO has roughly 5,000 lumens..
the PAR data is nearly equal for these two lamps..
I am curious where you got those numbers?

Cheers
Steve

sorry steve.. Ive lost my links.. but it was off the canadian board I see alot of killer data on.. I cant even remember the name of it right now..
I ran across the data when doing reaserch on T-5 HO.. If I had to chose between the two of them If I wanted to keep softies.. I would stick with VHO.. but if you dont want to keep any low light critters (all sps and clams in a rather shallow tank <24 inches deep) I would go with the T-5 HO. thats what I gathered from the data I found.. HTH
I want LPS.. so.. I figured MH might be my best option.. some guys on RC seem to be having trouble with LPS and T-5 HO..

Back
Top Bottom