T5/T8/HOs or LED - 37 Gallon 22" High

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy-r

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

First post, sorry for length and mod move to right spot if necessary. Just started getting 'tanked again after a long hiatus since childhood. I first started this out for the kids with a std 10 gal with some tetras and (sorry)... Glo-Fish (don't even start me on that racket! :eek:).

Anywho, we, aka I, soon found out the 10 was too small so I dug my 20 long out from storage and set that up. I replaced the gravel with Eco-Complete black and added few just a few more fish (sans Glo-fish) and some low light plants - bananas, swords, java fern and an unidentifiable. I moved the 18" fixture over from my 10 gal, replaced the bulb with a floramax and rested that prehistoric black fixture on top of my glass canopy. Interestingly, everything did well - the plants grew and the fish loved the new décor/hiding places.

Of course, 20L was again not enough and I had the opportunity to swap it to a 37 gal with a friend interested in my 20L for a reptile. It was great since the 37 had the exact footprint as the 20L, just much higher 22". Everything from the substrate to the fish, plants and filters moved over fine. But when resting that single 18" floramax on top.... well, you know the rest! :nono:

So... without breaking the budget, I'm looking for some suggestions for the 22" high tank. This is not high tech - it is *still* supposed to be for the kids, not consume me as the wife calls it. My options are... 1) get a similar 30" fixture like I have with a longer floramax bulb; 2) get a 30" fixture with 2 T5 bulbs (like a Coralife); or 3) go with LED. I know nothing about the LEDs and how the lighting would encourage the fish or plants, plus they are more $$$. I prefer good old-fashion tubes that I can swap out if necessary.

For more info, I have a mix of tetras/rasboras keeping my (1) fem blue ram, (1) fem gold ram and (1) angelfish company, all about the same size. Everyone gets along, fish are extremely active and everything is doing really well at this point. I don't plan on doing CO2 or adding much more plants. I dose by schedule with Seachem Flourish and Iron. I am vigilant with 30% water changes every 5 days.

Thanks all!

I'm using Finnex LED fixtures on my 150, 90 and 18 gallon tanks, and they rock. Lots of light, slim profile, and long life. You can check out the reviews on Amazon.

I grow anubias, Java fern and crypts with no CO2.

The 37gal is 22" high. Do you think the 30" Planted+ would be enough? I also heard of the Ray 2, but I really don't want to get into algae problems and dosing CO2. I'm more interested in showing off fish and having healthy plants, not necessarily trying to grow a carpet.

I have a 48" Ray2 on my 90 gallon, which is pretty high. The tank has all of the plants which I mentioned previously. I get a little algae on the glass but no nuisance algae. I have to occasionally cull my crypts because they grow so quickly.

I add Seachem Flourish and Excel one a week.

Thanks again. I think I'm going to try the 30" Planted+. I think that would give me enough light for what I have without adding CO2 or algae. My plants are bananas (already crept to the top), swords and java fern/moss. Mind you, right now I have an 18" "FloraMax Plant Growth" 15W T8 in a 24" fixture resting on my glass canopy! I also dose Flourish. And some Flourish Iron (added because leaves on bamboo and swords went transparent).

Finnex Planted+ is a great light. I have had mine going on 2 years and have no regrets.

Good Luck.

Don

I own a 30" Finnex FugeRay, Planted+, and 24/7. These are for my 20g long tanks.
For 22" depth, the planted+ should be okay for low light plants. The 24/7 has what the planted+ has but it can be dimmed and has a 24/7 mode. This is a light cycle of varying intensities and tones. One thing I like about the 24/7 mode is that during the morning and evening hours when light is not as bright, the fish appear to be more active. Also, there is no sudden ON and OFF; light changes are gradual.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom