Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
T5 vs LED for Freshwater Planted Tank

I know there is another thread on this, but I felt like it was mostly dealing with saltwater aquariums, and I just want a simple answer. I plan on setting up a new planted freshwater tank that will require high light. Which should I go with and why? Thanks!

Trail_Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
If you're willing to build the fixture yourself, it's hard to beat LED. Check out the LED link in my signature to see my high-light planted tank using LEDs.

Here's my list of reasons to go LED:

1. Energy savings - I'm using 30W of LEDs on my 20H. I'd have to use two or three times the wattage if I was using T5HO lights to achieve the same results.

2. No bulb replacement - LEDs last much longer than T5HO bulbs. My LEDs are rated for to put out at least 70% of their original output for 50,000 hours.

3. Flexibility - LEDs are small and don't require reflectors, so you can creatively pack a lot of light into tight spaces. You can also pull off cool sunrise/sunset effects if you're good with microcontrollers.

4. Spectral output - Plants like red and blue light. LEDs don't put out much light in the yellow-green spectrum that algae likes and plants don't.
“A man's errors are his portals of discovery.”
Guide to The Fishless Cycle Cycling With Fish
My DIY LED Light Fixture
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote

freshwater, freshwater planted, freshwater planted tank, led, plant, planted, planted tank, tan, water plant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com