T5 vs. MH vs. LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder why you don't build your own sump/refugium....

Oh, I am using a DIY sump set-up using two Rubbermaid type containers and it has been working great.
This is going to be a mini display that will be on top of the main display and will be focused on growing macro algae and pods with an aesthetic look.
I already have a ghetto one set-up as a proof of concept and to iron out any issues. Have chaeto, ulva and caulerpa growing in there, couple feather dusters, an itty-bitty clown goby and a bunch of pods. It's more of a refuge for pods than an algae growing chamber.
My wrasses and angel have already figured out to hang out near the drain in
the morning to catch any pods that come thru....LOL

The size is only 30x6x9, kit was $40, all assembled, $80.
I decided it was worth the 40 extra bucks to have it done right and not have crooked panels and glue smears all over which is what would happen if I tried to do it...LOL

BUT from all the reviews, his kits are top-notch and video instructions are pretty good. He sells everything needed to DIY and I will probably be picking up one of the sump kits for my 80 gallon when that gets out of storage.

The shipping from Ohio to Cal. was the only killer and bumped the total bill up to $112.
It's still a whole lot better than any quotes I got from the 3-4 local places I checked, so I am still saving $$$.

will be taking pics as I slap it all together in the next week or two.

and my light shipped today, should have it by the end of the week. :dance:

I made many of my sumps from standard glass tanks. A 30 or 40 breeder makes a great sump/refugium for under 100 if you get the tank on the dollar a gallon sale at petco.

Cool beans. Let us know how it turns out. Don't fry anything with that new light!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cool beans. Let us know how it turns out. Don't fry anything with that new light!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Yes, in the thread it looks like it's bright as can be in there. I would start very low and ramp up over a period of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom