T5 vs. MH vs. LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to throw my experience in... I am using T5 and LED. Using the T5 because that's what I had and added the LED because I wanted the shimmer. Seems to be working well. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429569593.627529.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

How long have you guys been running them and how do they fair in regards to heat generation in comparison to others, as that was one of the main contentions of the article,
inefficient components=wasted electricity=heat=short life span.
2/2012 is when Greg sent me the first unit, and I bought 4 shortly after that, then a few more for the back tanks, and a year later i sold that entire system with mature sps colonies included.
I also maintain a tank that has 3 of the generation 1 units over it for about 3 years now and it's also got mature sps colonies in it, which were grown from tiny frags.
I know a LFS in Frazer, Pa. that uses these units over their mature sps loaded reef tank for years.
And lastly, my 105 had 2 units over it for about a year, which I just folded into my new tank, and simply added a third fixture. I've never had one fail and they are luke warm to the touch.

My units are at 100% blue and 40% white- not even ran at full power.

so it seems that in actual usage, they stand up over time.
Like I said, not currently owning any myself and shopping around, I like to look on both sides of the fence, and I tend to lean to the technical specs to make a decision, but real world application is also a big part of the decision making process.

Was checking out BuildMyLED.com and came across a couple things that raised another concern with the units you use;
FAQ's

"Do your lights use fans?
No. From an engineering perspective, we do not believe in installing cooling fans inside LED fixtures. On average, LEDs should yield approximately 50,000 hours of useful life. However, no fan is going to last this long in wet/damp/salty environments typical in aquarium applications. If the fan fails after 10,000 hours, the LEDs would fail shortly after the fan is dead. Hence, we do not believe this is an acceptable engineering design for LED fixtures."

So are you able to easily replace the fans in those units because that is a very valid point concerning the differing life spans of the different components?

Following along. I've wondered on that myself for BML. The led lights I bought at the store also had a box of computer fans next to them and the guy said if the fans ever fail I can just swap them out. The fans looked pretty dusty - didn't look like a big seller.

I think these lights have been going over a year and a half now with no issues. Would have to look it up.

Although just quickly worked out 10k hrs will do me about 3 years.

Following along. I've wondered on that myself for BML. The led lights I bought at the store also had a box of computer fans next to them and the guy said if the fans ever fail I can just swap them out. The fans looked pretty dusty - didn't look like a big seller.

I think these lights have been going over a year and a half now with no issues. Would have to look it up.

Although just quickly worked out 10k hrs will do me about 3 years.

I know I have to replace the fans in my computer about every 2.5-3 years and they are using the exact same types of fans.

speaking of which, my system is overdue for a good cleaning and new fans......:(

If you fasten a sheet of air filter like you might use on your furnace you can filter out the dust before the fan gets it. This will allow the fans to last a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you fasten a sheet of air filter like you might use on your furnace you can filter out the dust before the fan gets it. This will allow the fans to last a very long time.

on all of my computers, DIY builds, I have filters every place air can enter the case, but they still get dusty inside.
the bearings or shaft always wears out eventually.
but my systems are on 24/7/365, so....

and I imagine that adding filters to them isn't practical with the LED fixtures or is it?

side question, what total wattage, as a starting point, should I strive for to keep anemones in a fifty that is 20" deep?
I was contemplating the TrueLumen linkable strips, in conjunction with 3 36" standard output T5's, but even using 3 36" inch led strips would only yield a total of 63 watts (which is lame because their power supplies are max 60, yet they want to sell three-way splitters?)
but the more I look into them, the less impressed I am.
I love the ease of utilizing them into a canopy, but I'm not so sure about the performance.

I don't have experience with the TruLumen, but I do with the ReefBrite XHO strips. They are pretty potent. The lower wattage LEDs don't penetrate very well. I would stick with something that has at least 1 watt LEDs. Use 3 of the Reefbrite XHO's and you won't need anything else.

I don't have experience with the TruLumen, but I do with the ReefBrite XHO strips. They are pretty potent. The lower wattage LEDs don't penetrate very well. I would stick with something that has at least 1 watt LEDs. Use 3 of the Reefbrite XHO's and you won't need anything else.

just looked them up.
Pricey, for the cost of one 36" XHO 50/50 strip I could get a TrueLumen Pro dual setup, one 12K white and one 453nm blue, and an additional 36" strip through marine depot.
but on the other hand, they use 3 watt LEDs and one unit would be more than sufficient for my needs,
so not too outrageous on price and I admit I didn't look too hard, but more than the Taotronics units, but those are not a strip....:blink:

here is the product page for the TrueLumen;
TrueLumen Pro Series LED StripLights | Current-USA

didn't see where the wattage of the individual LEDs is stated, but I'm guessing .5 watt considering the number of them on a strip.
to their credit they do say that they are not enough on their own for hard coral, but claim they are good for softies.

still leaning towards just pickin' and choosen' components and building one.
Can't afford to get anything until summer anyhow, so I got's time. :D

So, back to the original topic- LEDs leave metal halide and T5 in the dust. Even my "grossly inferior" Chinese panels penetrate the water better than T5 or MH with almost no heat and much less electricity. I don't believe them (my units) to be as strong as a 400 watt halide, but definitely can penetrate as good or better than a 250 watt halide. Perhaps even a 400 watt halide with a 20k bulb in it even. I don't remember satisfying acropora 30" away with 20k XM in a lumenarc reflector, but then again, it's been a while. If I recall, acros did good about half way up the rock, in my last metal halide tank.

I agree, MH has been the universal standard for many years. But like cathode ray television sets, flat screens are here to stay. As in all new technologies that supplant older more refined technologies, the first tries are sometime lacking. LEDs have matured drastically in just the last few years. Using appropriate lenses and LEDs you should be able to design for pretty deep penetration. At least as much as a MH in a reflector.

Well, after looking around, vacillating back and forth I finally decided that for the $$$, those LED units really are a bargain.

So I rolled the dice and ordered one of these;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00INM0J1M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Galaxyhydro™ Led 55x3w Dimmable 165w Full Spectrum LED Aquarium Light
Product Specifications:

Dimensions: 15.8 x 8.4 x 2.4 inches
Weight: 7.9 pounds
Output Power: 55pcs*3watt
Power Consumption: 120W+/-3%
Warranty: 1 year
Lifespan: 30000 hours
Worldwide Voltage: AC85~265V
Working Voltage: 23V
Working Current: 1.2A
View Angle of LEDs: 90 degree lens
Dimmer One(28 LEDs) 16 x Cool White 14,000k 6 x Warm white 2700k 4x Red 660nm Green 520
Dimmer One(27 LEDs) 20 x Blue 460nm 4 x Purple 410nm 3 x Moonlight Blue
Using: suitable for a 20 to 50 Gallon tank
Recommend Height: 0.3 m- 2 m

So it has essentially the same specs on paper as the Taotronics 165watt unit,
it will be here in about a week so we will see how it performs.

I had some credit sitting in my account so it cost me less than $90 out of pocket and I can't even DIY a standard output T5 set-up for that much.

So I humbly bow and acquiesce to you guys on the subject of cheap Chinese LED units. :oops:

You are probably going to end up removing those optics (you won't need them and the spread is greatly compromised), and I personally prefer less reds, but it will definitely grow corals.

I like the red and even green, corals don't care but I like it. I would look at the spread first. Some emitters the lens is not removable. Certainly the older panels they weren't. I sure hope after all this that that panel lasts you for years. :)

yeah, roll of the dice, but can't argue with the price, less than I could DIY a fluorescent set-up. not a hard choice.
the company mainly sells light setups for hydroponic gardening and they seem to have a good reputation in that market, so I hope the same applies to their foray into the aquarium market.
my tank is only 36x15x20 so I'm sure it will be plenty.

I also ordered a custom display/refugium today from this guy;
Amazon.com: Windridercreations: Pet Supplies
e-mailed him direct, talked on the phone, will be in here in about 10 days.
(y)
decent prices for his sump kits and pre-built stuff also.

Back
Top Bottom