T5 vs Power Compact Florescents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john0087

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I have been looking at new lighting fixtures for a possible tank upgrade and I was wondering what are the differenced between T5 lights and PCF.

Is there an advantage to one over the other? Can't really afford MH lighting, so I am looking for other options.

Thanks

john

Basics: T5 is a long tube like your old fashioned shop lights, only much smaller diameter, and many more lumens per watt. PCF is a floecent bulb that double-backs on it self, with the socket at only one end.

The major advantage of T5 is the parabolic reflectors available for them. These massively increase the efficiency of the light. Without the parabolic reflectors it's a tossup between the two. If you're building your own hood, PC doesn't require as much measuring, because there is only one socket per bulb instead of one on each end.

what size tank? Like dskidmore says its all in the reflectors on the T5 HO libhts. Some of the better t5 lights are almost as much as a MH so shop around..
PC are nice but IMO the lighting colors you get from a T5 is nicer, again JMO.

Have you looked into VHO?

I am doing reseach on a tank upgrade. I am looking at a 60gal, dims are 48x18x15

Since the tank is not that tall, and to save a little $$, I am looking at viable options for lighting that won't cost a fortune.

I have not looked int VHO lighting. Right now, I have a coralife fixture that puts out 65x2 over a 37gal tank.

Look into Ice Cap ballasts. Not the cheapest, but very energy efficient, which will save you $$ on electricity in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom