Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

T5- Which bulbs to choose?

i have the all pond solutions t5 twin light unit, is it better to go for 2x growth bulbs, 2x 10,000k white or a mixture?

thanks

Pair of German Blue Rams, Pair of Peacock Gobys, Venezuelan Corys, Long Finned Pepper Cory, Orange Neon Cory, Sterbai Corys, Albino Corys, Elegans Corys, Bronze Corys, Columbian Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, Rummy Nose Tetras, Marble Hatchets, Zebra Danios, Red Finned Zebra Danio, African Dwarf Frog and Darwin the Cream and Blue Betta
steg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm gonna say that up to your viewing pleasure and your plants. Most of us look for bulbs in the 5k-10k range, with 6500k being optimal. Depending on your plants, you may need more or less in the spectrum. I do a mix and my tank seems to be healthy, but my tank has no plants that require special lighting needs.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

what about a 14k bulb?
Pair of German Blue Rams, Pair of Peacock Gobys, Venezuelan Corys, Long Finned Pepper Cory, Orange Neon Cory, Sterbai Corys, Albino Corys, Elegans Corys, Bronze Corys, Columbian Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, Rummy Nose Tetras, Marble Hatchets, Zebra Danios, Red Finned Zebra Danio, African Dwarf Frog and Darwin the Cream and Blue Betta
Old 04-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Moved to General Hardware/Equipment Discussion.

14K is used fairly frequently in SW tanks and will look more blue than the 10Ks. However, it's totally dependent on brand, like a 14K bulb from Brand A may look quite a bit different than a 14K from Brand B, and so on.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks! but what about on a tropical tank? is 14k a bit excessive? whats best for bringing out the colours in my rams, while not effecting the plant growth?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I usually choose 10Ks (these are supposed to look "white") but some people prefer 6500Ks because they think the 10Ks look too blue. It's really just a matter of personal preference so whatever you like in that general range should work fine.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

So 10ks are just as good for plants and colour of fish?

Tags
bulb, bulbs, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com