T5HO Ballast Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e_murray

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is a ballast a ballast?

I have been looking at TEK retro kits and have chosen the ones I want to buy...

My Dad the Electrician... found a brand new case of T5HO Electronic Ballasts in his shop.. (willing to donate to me)... So all I would need to buy are end caps and individual reflectors...

Will these be just as good as anything else?

I don't know but would really love an answer to this as well. I'm sure some ballasts are better than others but do you need specific ones for aquarium use?

e_murray said:
Is a ballast a ballast?

I have been looking at TEK retro kits and have chosen the ones I want to buy...

My Dad the Electrician... found a brand new case of T5HO Electronic Ballasts in his shop.. (willing to donate to me)... So all I would need to buy are end caps and individual reflectors...

Will these be just as good as anything else?

As long as that's what you're running (54w), then it's gonna be a great buy, as in FREE lol. A ballast just needs to match the bulbs they're driving and sylvie is a great mfg (I use many of their products).

Smitty said:
I don't know but would really love an answer to this as well. I'm sure some ballasts are better than others but do you need specific ones for aquarium use?

Nope, ballasts and bulbs are universal. But if it's labeled "for aquarium use" like many things, you get to pay 2.5x as much for it :ermm:.

Thanks guys! Bulbs and reflectors it is! Gonna use the freebie ballasts!

Ok, next question, got enough for 10 bulbs ... should I use all 10?

My tank is 18 deep.

I would say 6 is all you need for any coral out there. For fish only you would only need 2. How many ballasts did you get?

Is this for a SW or FW tank? I'm guess SW. You could go to 8 if you can fit them but I don't think it is necessary. How big of a tank?

What are all the tank dimentions? I thought the 2x54 ballast are for 48" bulbs but a 100g tank only 18" deep sound like one that is longer than that.

It's 60 inches long, gonna stagger the bulbs to cover all 60 inches. My old T12's are staggered like this.

Back
Top Bottom