T5HO bulb in standard T5 fixture...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjldad

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I got my used setup, the light fixture that came with it had a 10k 28watt and a 54watt actinic.. The fixture is a Coralife T5 setup.. Just wondering if there is any adverse issues with running it how it is.. Am I getting poor light output because of this setup?
Thanks!!

You need to have T5NO (normal output) bulbs in that fixture. The ballast isn't equipped to handle T5HO bulbs and you can't change the ballast.

So, will the HO bulb burn out the ballast? I know that a NO bulb should have been in there from the beginning, but that was not my decision.. :)
I figured the ballast was current limited and would just be putting out poor light on the actinic bulb.. Thanks, guess I'm looking for a replacement bulb..

Thoughts, on the replacement... I ordered a CurrentUSA T5HO fixture (108w) to go along side the fixture I currently have.. Will be using them like natural lighting, ie. NO comes on for a few hours, then the HO fixture with the NO fixture, then just the NO again in the evening.. You get the picture.. The tank is a 75g freshwater setup, no plants right now.. May venture in to that in the future.. What replacement bulb should I get?
New HO has 10k and actinic and the NO has 10k and ?????????

Thanks!!

Most NO ballasts won't light a HO bulb, so don't waste money on a HO bulb.

You doing a FW planted tank?? Actinics are pretty much useless for plants. For FW, you would want to get ~6500K instead of the Actinics. You can keep the 10000K, although some people find that the color is a bit harsh, but mixing with 6500K should balance things out nicely.

I like the actinics for the nice color they add to the tank.. I know they are for coral but I think it helps the fish pop a little.. Doesn't make the tank look just bright white.. Maybe the 6500k will help with that too.. Looks like I'm going to be experimenting a little bit.. :)

Back
Top Bottom