T5HO Fixture vs Retrofit kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e_murray

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so I am definitely decided that I am going to buy T5HO.

My question is, If I buy an 6x80 ATI fixture with bulbs is way more expensive than if I buy (3) Tek Retrofit 2x80 kits ( to make a total of 6 bulbs).

What is the difference and why are the retrofit kits so much cheaper?
Are their ballast crappier or something?

The lights I am looking at are these:

Sunlight Supply 60" 2 lamp x 80 w T5 HO Retro Fit Kit - T5 Ready Fit & Retro Kits - Sunlight Supply - Lighting

If I buy 3 of these I am looking at $390

VS

One of these at $569

ATI SunPower 6 x 60" 80 Watt T5 Fixture - ATI SunPower Fixtures - ATI Fixtures - Lighting

For one thing, they're 2 different brands, so the prices will differ. Also, the Tek kit doesn't come with bulbs.
Mainly, retrofit kits don't come with housing. Meaning the ATI is a full fixture, plug and play. The Tek kit is parts, DIY. There's nothing wrong with the Tek fixture. Generally ATI is regarded as being better than Tek, but the Tek kit is definitely a good choice as well.

Last edited:
Another point as well, the ATI fixture comes with active cooling (the fans) which are much better for the longevity and power of T5 bulbs.

Kudos to looking at 2 great brands, not just something that will "work"

Awesome, thanks guys! I just wanted to make sure that I was spending my hard earned dollars on something that is worth it!

Gonna go with the fixture then over the retro? You also get to pick any lights bulb combo you like with the ATI unit. :)

That'll be the next dliemma.

Both are very well worth the money, you won't be sorry.

Definitely post some pictures if/when you get whichever you choose!

I'm gonna get the Retro Kit, It's a bit cheaper and will be the same as the fixture, I'll just have to put it together which wont be an issue. I'm pretty handy! :)

So what color combo do I get?

ATI:
6-Bulb combination
•3 ATI Blue Plus
•2 ATI Aquablue Special
•1 ATI Purple Plus

Also found me a ASM G4 on CL for $200 going to get it this weekend! Whoop whoop!

That color combo sounds good, I'm more of a person who likes a blue tank and the blue+ will give you that.

Arrange it like so:
blue+
aquablue
blue+
purple+
aquablue
blue+

That'd give you a nice blue tone with the others popping things like corals, etc.

Back
Top Bottom