Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

T5HO lighting

Sorry to cut into you thread, but i didn't want to make a new one with the same title.

Here's my question.

I have a 90 gallon corner flow tank.
When i purchased the tank at a LFS i was told that for a reef that the GLO T5HO light fixture would be the way to go and the guy said the Marine-glo and the life-glo. They are both 54watts.

However, just yesterday another LFS told me that with those two lightbulbs i won't be able to keep any corals. he said i need at least six bulbs. He said that the coral would all need to be veryclose to the bulbs, but that the 90 gallons was too deep to keep corals in the entire tank. Is this so? do i need to get more lighting?

Old 08-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There are quite a few corals that can be kept with T5ho in a 90, but you would need the six bulbs. Metal Halides would be better though, a much wider range of corals to choose from.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Zack, get MH as there is a better selection of coral than you would get with a 6x54w fixture. There is also an 8x54w current nova extreme pro that you can look into, that will work fine.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with the above. It also depends on what type of corals you want to keep. LPS, SPS, Softies? Proper placement will vary by type.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

well i don't think i will go with MH. My wife is already about to kill me with the expenses that we have been putting into the hobby.

Can you guys give me some suggestions on what types of corals i can keep with a 2x54 lightfixture. If not i will have to pay for at least another 2x54 fixture (i know that's not enought either), so also what types of corals i can keep with the 4 bulbs.
A LFS guys also suggested to by some frags and place the as high as i can to see how they do.
I am still about two months away from any coral anyway.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Can you guys give me some suggestions on what types of corals i can keep with a 2x54 lightfixture.
With that lighting on a 90, you might be OK for zoa's and mushrooms close to the top. A 90 is pretty deep, so nothing will do good at or near the bottom.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, i have been having the same problem that you have. Just by chance i have the EXACT same tank. 90 gallon corner tank 25" deep (pretty deep for a aquarium). It is way to deep to get light to the bottom with T5HO lighting. Take my advice i got from the people on this forum. Get a Metal Halide lighting. 400w IMO will be better for such a deep tank. This will allow you to keep almost any coral you want. I have been having the same dillema while planning my tank. This seems to be the best. Good luck with your tank.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etunes View Post
Ok, i have been having the same problem that you have. Just by chance i have the EXACT same tank. 90 gallon corner tank 25" deep (pretty deep for a aquarium). It is way to deep to get light to the bottom with T5HO lighting. Take my advice i got from the people on this forum. Get a Metal Halide lighting. 400w IMO will be better for such a deep tank. This will allow you to keep almost any coral you want. I have been having the same dillema while planning my tank. This seems to be the best. Good luck with your tank.

Thanks for the advice.

It's a dilemma for sure. MH's are a lot of money. I was comtemplating getting another fixture like the one i have to make it 4 bulbs at 54w total and maybe have a chance at some coral.
If not i'm probably gonna do FOWLR instead and a reef as my next tank in a few years. I can always put like three or four frags near the top and see how they do in a FOLWRASF (lol And Some Frags).
I was also told that there are like two corals that i would be able to keep with minimal light.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Instead of getting a MH system get some MH retro fits. They probably cost about the same as a T5HO system.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

On my way to pick up a lighting system.
Current Nova Extreme 6x54watts with bulbs for $200.
What do you guys think, regarding what coral i can put in my 90 with this lighting.

Tags
light, lighting, t5ho

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com