Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

T5HO lighting?

So I'm looking into getting a T5 light for my 29 gal planted tank. Any suggestions on what's good and worth the money?

Old 05-28-2013, 04:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I know that aquaticlife, Hagen glo, and catalina make T5HO fixtures with excellent quality reflectors... Well that's what I've read anyways. What type of plants are you planning to grow? You thinking of going high tech with co2 injection?

Old 05-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have an aquatic life 36" and I'm very happy with it. With that said, the reflectors are not individual reflectors! It is a single reflector, molded to the 4 bulbs. And the fixture is faily expensive.. Mine was $350.

I cannot speak for the quality of Odyssea but people have been getting good results with those too. But seems to be a toss up. So if you are willing to take the gamble, An odyssea fixture is basically an aquatic life knock off from china (even with timer).
Old 05-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
I know that aquaticlife, Hagen glo, and catalina make T5HO fixtures with excellent quality reflectors... Well that's what I've read anyways. What type of plants are you planning to grow? You thinking of going high tech with co2 injection?
Well I have a few low light plants and some high light plants like a red rotala, water wistera, red tiger lotus and dwarf grass. And my flora max isn't cutting it. I am do flourish ferts along with root tabs and do have a Hagen CO2 canister deal going. I mean its not to hi-tech but I feel it gets the job done.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobLis View Post
I have an aquatic life 36" and I'm very happy with it. With that said, the reflectors are not individual reflectors! It is a single reflector, molded to the 4 bulbs. And the fixture is faily expensive.. Mine was $350.

I cannot speak for the quality of Odyssea but people have been getting good results with those too. But seems to be a toss up. So if you are willing to take the gamble, An odyssea fixture is basically an aquatic life knock off from china (even with timer).
So I was looking into getting an aquaticlife 30". I found one on amazon that's just under a $100. Should I be trusting amazon for something like this? And thanks for your input!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printerhands View Post

Well I have a few low light plants and some high light plants like a red rotala, water wistera, red tiger lotus and dwarf grass. And my flora max isn't cutting it. I am do flourish ferts along with root tabs and do have a Hagen CO2 canister deal going. I mean its not to hi-tech but I feel it gets the job done.
I use floramax and it does fine. Its essentially eco complete and it has a great track record. Its no ADA aqua soil, but certainly gets the job done. The problem might be more your lighting (hence this thread), ferts, and inadequate co2 throughput. That Hagen co2 is a yeast/sugar co2 generator right? If you don't upgrade to pressurized co2 just yet, you should supplement that co2 system you're using with a liquid carbon like Excel or Glut to compensate. Are you monitoring co2 saturation/dissolution with a drop checker?

Maybe consider going with dry ferts like GLA's PPS-Pro package to get a more comprehensive ferts regimen going.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post

I use floramax and it does fine. Its essentially eco complete and it has a great track record. Its no ADA aqua soil, but certainly gets the job done. The problem might be more your lighting (hence this thread), ferts, and inadequate co2 throughput. That Hagen co2 is a yeast/sugar co2 generator right? If you don't upgrade to pressurized co2 just yet, you should supplement that co2 system you're using with a liquid carbon like Excel or Glut to compensate. Are you monitoring co2 saturation/dissolution with a drop checker?

Maybe consider going with dry ferts like GLA's PPS-Pro package to get a more comprehensive ferts regimen going.
Alright so maybe I will give you my setup. That might help you help me more.
I'm using an under gravel heater cable with 20lbs of white sand on top of that and the 20lbs of Eco complete and another 10lbs of black sand. I have 10 root tabs through out the tank. My yeast/sugar co2 injection does about 7 bubbles a min through a drop checker. I'm dosing with flourish potassium and iron and just regular. I have your typical submersible heater and then just a flora max Florissant bulb going for about 10 hours with 1 1/2 break where it shuts off. Now from what I have heard is that you can use all the ferts you want but if you don't have the proper lighting the plants won't go anywhere.

Now I have had a planted tank about 4 years ago and it did just fine with the flora max bulb. By I think before I didn't have any high light plants like I do now.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ohhh... "flora max" is a light! I thought you meant "floramax" as in the substrate that is exactly like Eco Complete.

Yes... lighting is an important component to growing plants. By all means, upgrade.. but in terms of your co2 generator... 7 bubbles a minute is really REALLY low! You need like 1 bps at least. A drop checker is a visual device you fill with a pH reagent solution and 4dkh. It reacts to the pH in the water to give you a visual estimate of how much actual co2 is being diffused into the water. For example, the drop checker will be blue if there's not enough co2, green with just enough, and yellow when there's too much. I suspect with 7 bubbles per minute, you'll be in the dark blue. If you upgrade your lighting to the dual t5ho fixture, especially with good reflectors, you'll need to upgrade that co2 system or supplement your current system with Excel (or Glut).
Old 05-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

So I went ahead and got a corallife T5 light at the lfs. It's a dual bulb, 6700K and a colormax. So hopefully that helps out a lot. I had also gotten the excel too. Just not ready to upgrade my CO2 yet. I might check into a drop checker though.

And to correct myself the bulb I was using was a flora sun by zoo meds.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Isn't the coralife T5 a NO (normal output) rather than a HO (high output) fixture?

Tags
light, lighting, t5ho

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com