Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

LEDs give a shimmer and are fully controlled. they smply are the best form of reef lighting, but are still very expensive

my LFS has 3 marine aquariums set up, two 90s and a 180. one 90 is using T5HOs one is using two 250watt halides with PC combo an the 180 has three 250watters with PC combo.

the T5HO 90g looks awesome, corals are glowing and the light that is penetrated even to the sand bed is far better then those of the halides.

sure a 400watt can penetrate deeper but they suck down way to much power, cost more to replace and get way to hot for me to change my mind. this is also coming from an electrician that sees the difference when he does T5HO retrofits that replace 400watt MH highbays, even T8s are replaceing them with the same light output. i stand by what i say MH are old school, and being phased out in all aspects of the world by fluorescents and LEDs. i'm sorry if i offend you die hard MH lovers, they are just to old for me and to dated

Old 06-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have to agree. My LFS display tank is on T5HO and is amazing whereas their sea horse/ pipefish tank under metal halides till looks great and blue, it is noticeably dimmer even though it is shallower.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not arguing or getting upset, I'm simply stating that this is all opinion. That is why your original statement that T5 and LED lights are better than metal halides was incorrect. In your opinion they are, not for a fact. As I said, I think halides with T5HO or VHO bulbs are the nicest setups. The halides are expensive to run and replace, but the LED setups are expensive upfront. The T5 setups have technologically advanced to the point that they are able to support anything you want to keep, the colors are beautiful, and it is economical. All of them have advantages, but it is all opinion. Each of them can support anything the enthusiast wishes to keep when properly set up. For my money, I like halides. Just an opinion, I see the positives and negatives of all of them.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

this is where it gets different what do yout think the advantage is of each and what are the disadvantages?

what makes a good fixture? light output, price, life, efficiancy and look, correct? scoring each catagory would make a system better then another or worse
Old 06-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purevil21 View Post
I'm not arguing or getting upset, I'm simply stating that this is all opinion. That is why your original statement that T5 and LED lights are better than metal halides was incorrect. In your opinion they are, not for a fact. As I said, I think halides with T5HO or VHO bulbs are the nicest setups. The halides are expensive to run and replace, but the LED setups are expensive upfront. The T5 setups have technologically advanced to the point that they are able to support anything you want to keep, the colors are beautiful, and it is economical. All of them have advantages, but it is all opinion. Each of them can support anything the enthusiast wishes to keep when properly set up. For my money, I like halides. Just an opinion, I see the positives and negatives of all of them.
Well said.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In my opinion, upper end LED fixtures are the best hands down. They are the most energy efficient, longest lasting, and if they weren't thousands up front they would be in every aquarium. Halides used to be necessary to keep the highest light demanding corals and clams, but now with the advances in T5HO technology, halides are the energy wasting heat producing alternative.

Halides are certainly fine to keep any corals, but seeing as a T5HO fixture can meet the same lighting requirements, produce less heat and waste less energy, there is no reason (asides from aesthetics, point source illumination of halides producing attractive glitter lines) for someone starting up a new tank to buy a halide fixture over a T5HO one.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We chose to not go with halides because of the cost. It isn't just the outrageous cost of bulbs. You have the high electrical usage and then the possibility of needing chillers, etc. I LOVED the look of halides but there was too many other problems. We chose to attempt a DIY LED build and so far the results are fantastic. The shimmer is gorgeous and I love the possible energy savings. If we hadn't gone with the LEDs we would have gone T5HO and I would have had to give up my beautiful shimmery water.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcothelia View Post
In my opinion, upper end LED fixtures are the best hands down. They are the most energy efficient, longest lasting, and if they weren't thousands up front they would be in every aquarium. Halides used to be necessary to keep the highest light demanding corals and clams, but now with the advances in T5HO technology, halides are the energy wasting heat producing alternative.

Halides are certainly fine to keep any corals, but seeing as a T5HO fixture can meet the same lighting requirements, produce less heat and waste less energy, there is no reason (asides from aesthetics, point source illumination of halides producing attractive glitter lines) for someone starting up a new tank to buy a halide fixture over a T5HO one.

i agree
but take a look at this, theres no way the little bit of shimmer a halide gives will look nearly as good as this Mr.Xs old 150g. the way the corals glow is just so [moderator edit] good looking

Old 06-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #19

POTM Champion

ok easy guys. i've always gotten shimmer from just my T5HOs... about exactly the same as the halides
Old 06-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well since that's the case...I now see no reason to go out and buy a halide fixture as of now lol. And yea, that tank looks awesome. The oranges especially stick out.

Tags
light, lights, t5ho

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com