T5HO vs. Metal Halide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slitherbomb

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking to get a light fixture that can support all types of coral. I've seen T5HOs, metal halides, and metal halides with t5hos! This is for a 40g breeder. What do you suggest?

If you want to keep any coral u ever want a 400ish watt mh will let you. Depending on depth of the tank a 4-6bulb individually reflected t5 unit will do the same. It's really up to you

Until the tank is 18-24" high or more you can do the same with either. Metal halides are best for taller tanks where you really need to punch the light down through a lot of water. Even then you can use T5HO and simply keep mushrooms, zoanthids, etc. on the bottom. Watt per watt you actually get about the same amount of light, the metal halide just concentrates into a very small area of output and the T5HO spreads it out along the whole length of the bulb.

For a T5HO. Would 4 bulbs be enough to grow even the most light demanding coral, or would you need more?

I would go with 6 bulbs since the tank is so wide. Depending on what fixture you use you could start with 4 and upgrade later when you and your tank are ready for the other 2, if they are needed.

If you have the money you could do a amazing led fixture. Currently I have a 8bulb t5 fixture over my 60gal(24". Deep) and I plan on in the future replacing it with a diy led fixture. I personally like the look of them better. I went to but some drags from a local reef club member and she had all 3 types of lights on 3 tanks.... Long story short the led lights she said were way better then the mh and the t5.

I don't know how to make an led fixture... Do you have any links or something? I've been wanting to do led anyways.

Back
Top Bottom