Tank Backgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob28

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my favorite things to do on this forum, other than asking dumb questions, is to check out pics of tank set-ups.
One thing ive noticed is that some people use backrounds and some people dont.

I really like the look of both examples and for different reasons. So, what i want to know is why do you choose to either have one or not?

There's 3 main reasons I prefer to use backgrounds.

1) It hides the equipment thats behind the tank.

2) It gives an aquarium an aspect of having more depth

3) It helps to make what's in the tank (fish, plants, corals, etc) stand out and their colors pop out better.

There's 3 main reasons I prefer to use backgrounds.

1) It hides the equipment thats behind the tank.

2) It gives an aquarium an aspect of having more depth

3) It helps to make what's in the tank (fish, plants, corals, etc) stand out and their colors pop out better.

Ditto.

Sometimes I mess around with several backgrounds until I find one I like. Sometimes a completely black one looks great, other times it makes the tank look dark and dreary. I prefer to stick with solid colors myself, but I have seen some neat 3-D backgrounds as well.

I try to use backgrounds that complement the aquascaping (i.e. rocks and plants to match what is in the tank). I think it gives the illusion of being more natural and larger. Of course each background is also hiding all of the ugly filters, wiring, pumps, etc.

They are cheap? and dont want to spend the money :)

lol...thats not even funny. some of the most expensive looking set-ups didnt have a backround. im sure that a 2 dollar backround (or whatever they cost) couyld have fit the budget

lmao

I used a background on my 72 for the life of the tank. It worked for my first SW tank. When I upgraded I decided I would paint the back of the tank blue rather then use a background. I did this so the focus is on the corals and fish in my tank rather then a cool looking background.

I used a background on my 72 for the life of the tank. It worked for my first SW tank. When I upgraded I decided I would paint the back of the tank blue rather then use a background. I did this so the focus is on the corals and fish in my tank rather then a cool looking background.

yeah ive been following ur build thread...ive seen that tank. very nice. the only thing i dont like bout painting is its permanent. i change my mind way too much for that.

I would say it is semi-permanent. A razor blade will make short work of the paint but that is not easy to do once the tank is set up. The blue we chose was somewhat light and make it look as though you are looking way off in the distance underwater.

yeah, thats what i liked bout it....made it look huge. not that it wasnt already.

i didnt even think of razor-blading it.

I have actually scraped paint off the glass with my finger nail. The paint doesn't really stick to the glass very well and can be removed pretty easily. Though like I said it would be a pain to try with the tank set up.

how bout mirrors lol....im not joking

mirrors make everything look more spacious

how bout mirrors

my wife seems to think itll freak the fish out.

thoughts...comments please

I have seen a few tanks with mirror backgrounds and they look pretty cool. I'm not sure about how the fish handle it as I was looking at pictures and did not get a chance to talk to the people who owned the tanks.

I've had solid colors (blue, black), and background prints. I prefer the prints. The solid colors just make the aquascape seem incomplete to me. Although those new foam backgrounds seem pretty darn cool---and they don't only hide the stuff behind the tank, but the equipment inside the tank too.

malawi_3.jpg

malawi_top.jpg

im sorry this has not to do w/ the rock back grounds although this may help

MagNaturals Rock Ledge

but i was wondering rob, is your picture a toilet seat w/ thumb tacks on it?

i went through my archives but and google, fustrateing i cannot find what i am looking for, someone on this site made a post w/ a link i had gone to some months ago.

there are some foam rocks that this company makes, very realistic and these rocks come in many many shapes and sizes full of pot holes just like real rock, made of a foam w/ magnets in them allowing them to stick to walls, coraline algea grows on them just like near by corals, they help make any tank look great for fresh water too. im sorry, maybe a new thread about foam rocks will bring up the page.

There are many companies that offer the foam backgrounds. The better looking ones I find are in Europe. They will also make custom sizes if you require.

Unfortunately I can't go searching right now as I'm at work, but if you search google for "3D Aquarium Background" you'll find a whole bunch of sites.

I don't use background. I just hate that. When I do (yes it happen), I use a plain color (white is my favourite). I try to glue it to the glass to make it look nicer. Unfortunatly, my las attempt to glue it using Vaseline was a real mess.

There is one thing I want to try. Instead of using paint, why not use liquid latex? I am sure that would hold to the glass like nothing else. The idea is that it can be remove easily (if the latex is tick enough).
I never tried that but I will!

Back
Top Bottom