Tank concerns: bowing, uneven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
I have two tanks with two issues that concern me.
1st-I just noticed today that my acrylic tank (had over a year) has some bowing in the back. Its a 20g with what looks to be 1/4in thick acrylic sides. Not sure how bad it is, but its supposed to be 13in front to back and at the bowings extreme it is 13 and 1/8in. So I guess thats 1/8in off from what its supposed to be. Is that a problem?

2nd-I recently got a 7.5g rimless glass tank. The water is not level. There is a 1/4in difference in water height.

I suspect I am in trouble, anyone in agreement? What can I do?

Thanks,
Matt

Hello,
both tanks are on their own stand. The 20g is on a wooden stand that was meant for a 20g tank. The other, 7.5g, is on a wooden dressor. Both are on carpeted floor. Im sure the un even levels are due to the carpet. Am I in danger, or am I working myself up over nothing?

A bubble level reveals they are both slightly off, althought the bubble is mostly in the center level area. (Just not perfectly so)

Thanks,
Matt

These are pretty small tank, so the risks are not nearly as much (much less weight.)

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about a 1/4" difference in a 7 gal. <1/4" would be my limit for an uneven tank tho ...> But to be perfectly safe, you can shim up the dresser so it is perfectly level.

A 1/8" bow is not bad for a 20 gal, esp acrylic ... which can have a bit of a give. I think you would be OK.

Hello,
the 20g is over a year old. Just now noticed that the tank was bowed in the back.

The 7.5g is new (1month old). Its fully set up with live rock, sand, water, corals, and a fish. I am finishing a hanging stand for the led light I made for it. That should take some weight off the top of the tank. Maybe make it more stable? (not level, but less stress on an uneven rimless seems good).

Matt

If the stand is uneven then place some shims under the stand until it is level. I had to add shims over time as the stand settled into the carpet. Even though they are small tanks I still wouldn't want water on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom