Tank cover/lid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

Just need some advice has anyone got experience that their yellow tang or ocellaris clown fish jump out of the tank before? I am not using any lid or cover of any sort with open top am I risking the lives of my clowns and yellow tang? Thanks in advance.

You should be Ok. I have a yellow tang which I`ve had for 8 yrs and two clowns which have never jumped. You dont want a top or cover anyway as it will cause poor gas exchange and low PH. If you get anything get egg crate to go on top. But you wont need it for them fish

I have never lost a fish from jump from my tank. Some species are more likely to do this then others. Wrasses and fire fish and known jumpers. You should be okay.

I have lost a Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse due to jumping as well as a firefish. This was with a canopy on top of the tank but no cover.

The eggcrate is your best insurance, but you should be fine with the fish you have listed.

I had a clown take the leap!! I guess he saw the movie, but unfortunately he missed the ocean and landed on my floor! :roll:

I have had 2 clowns jump out of mine. As they are not usually jumping fish, I got another one and paid more attention to it.. I found that my Coral Beauty at the time was harrassing them. I got rid of the CB because of this. No more jumps...

I have an open tank with a canopy on top of it... strangely enough, they always found the open back side to jump out... :x

I still say "NO" to glass covers. The egg crate is a good idea I have heard but not used.

I have clowns and tangs with no top it hasent been a problem. Ive lost 1 fire fish at my home tank and 3 at my Works Tanks. Ohh I have a wild fire clown and he always bites me when I put my hand into the tank, one night I was getting the other half of my magna float and as I pulled my hand out of the water he darted up from the bottom and tried bitting me. The sucker missed, ended up flying out of the tank, and landed on my floor. But other than that Ive had sw tanks for 2 years now with only those 4 accidents. So I say Go Topless...

Back
Top Bottom