Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2006, 02:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tank Dimensions

As far as the fish are concerned, do they prefer a wider (front to back) tank or a taller one. I would have to imagine they like a wider tank. The taller one would be more for our pleasure so we could have fish that cruise the top, middle, and bottom more. But I am not totally sure. The reason I ask is cuz I can get a 135 gallon 72x18x25 for $250 or a 125 gallon 72x24x17 for $260. TIA for your opinions!!!
Tmcgee

Old 01-15-2006, 03:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to dscount Send a message via Yahoo to dscount
I'd go for the deeper instead of taller myself. Reason being the light penetration into the tank. Secondly you get more LR space as well you can hide equipment in the back of the tank a little better.

From a law of more gallons is better. Having an extra 10 gal is better, you having a sump/fuge by any chance?

If you are shopping for tanks new, I'd give a friendly little suggestion if you want. Trim down the size to about 90-125gal and get a larger sump underneath for about 30-50 gal at least. Just my thought, I'm sure others will have suggestions as well.

Old 01-15-2006, 04:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

LOL. Maybe I should have been a little more in depth in my need for the tank. This is going to be for a cichlid tank. A while back I had a bunch of babies that I let grow in my 55 gallon tank. I am now looking for more space for them. I'd say there are 15 or so in there and they are all getting to be over three inches or more. It isn't urgent yet but I'm just getting ideas. I am going to have a wet/dry filter with a sump in this design. So maybe I could go 100 gallonish. My plans are to then make the 55 gallon into a community tank wiht tetras/guppies etc. Not totally sure yet on that one but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ah.. With cichlids I'd go with your taller option then. Those guys are pretty cool to watch. Sounds like you are already overstocked. Might want to plug in your info into the Fish Capacity Calculator. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/calcs2...e=fishcapacity for the new tank you are going to buy.

Keep in mind this is a rule of thumb, but pretty good reference.

HTH
Old 01-16-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
even cichlids do well with more depth then height in a tank IMHO... the more surfase area the more square inches/square cm space there is for teritory..
actually the best shape is a big square.. LOL
Old 01-16-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

There you go!

Of course bigger is always better. Still have not been able to convince my better half that we need to convert the downstairs family room into a giant tank. (See basement Tank thread posted on that HUGE downstairs tank)
Old 01-16-2006, 06:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks greenmaji, I'll prob opt for the deeper one. That was my original thoughts anyway.

Dscount. I never realized that you don't include the tail when measuring your fish for space!! I guess that puts mine a little smaller than. They all seem to be happy without any damage to each other so I think I'm good for a while till I save enough for this tank and then get it cycled and what not. Thanks for all your advise though. And if you need convincing on your "other half" you just have her call some of us on this site and we will back you up 100%!!! I think that would be an awesome idea. Even if it isn't financially feasible. Wouldn't it just be great to house any fish you wanted cuz of the space advantages??

Tags
dim, tan, tank dimensions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com