Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

ive heard if left too long and 8-10 hours sounds like a while, but it can be abrasive and ruin the glass.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
ive heard if left too long and 8-10 hours sounds like a while, but it can be abrasive and ruin the glass.
The Vinegar??

Old 12-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes that it can eat away at the glass and pit it.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
yes that it can eat away at the glass and pit it.
No I typed that wrong tex i was referring to the trim and wood. not the glass. You shouldn't text me while im working HAHA JK bro you aren't bothering me. The glass will be fine. I just wouldn't let it sit down in the trim and silicone for 8 hours. If they are really that bad of stains you'll have no issues leaving VINEGAR on the glass. NOT the CLR for bathrooms lol. Sorry there was a breakdown in communication there.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
No I typed that wrong tex i was referring to the trim and wood. not the glass. You shouldn't text me while im working HAHA JK bro you aren't bothering me. The glass will be fine. I just wouldn't let it sit down in the trim and silicone for 8 hours. If they are really that bad of stains you'll have no issues leaving VINEGAR on the glass. NOT the CLR for bathrooms lol. Sorry there was a breakdown in communication there.
but remember your geting paid to txt timmy lol but seriously guys, it did work a bit, but i cant tell right now, i just had the water delivered yesterday so things are still a bit foggy, if it did clear up a bit ill try it to an hour or so. also, when i wet the glass it goes on nice and even and then forms somewhat like droplets on the glass it doesnt stay glazed it beads, so how do i keep all the glass glazed? repeated wiping and wiping? idk!
Old 12-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

With tank standing I would cover everything you don't want vinegar on, soak a rag and then take and algae clip or tape or some method of hold a damp rag on the area you're trying to clean. That's the only way I can think of
Old 12-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #17
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

try some tripple 0 steal wool its very fine and wont scratch the glass circular motion usually works best not brillo or sos pads as they have soap , you can do this both inside and out just be sure you clean up any steel wool particles from inside tank , and try to avoid silicone seal , than if you find any minor scratches after cleaning it you could use turtle wax to buff the outside glass only , don't wax inside just wipe it down with vinegar , you could also try a green scotch bright pad with vinegar that works to
Old 12-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
try some tripple 0 steal wool its very fine and wont scratch the glass circular motion usually works best not brillo or sos pads as they have soap , you can do this both inside and out just be sure you clean up any steel wool particles from inside tank , and try to avoid silicone seal , than if you find any minor scratches after cleaning it you could use turtle wax to buff the outside glass only , don't wax inside just wipe it down with vinegar , you could also try a green scotch bright pad with vinegar that works to
lol i seriously considered using some baby oil and just glazing the entire outside glass to make the scratches go away haha but seriously, do i use the steel wool with no vinegar? how long do i soak with it if i do?
Old 12-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

with or without vinegar either way will get build up off

baby oil will always smear off and have a greasy film left behind turtle wax fills scratches almost like rubbing compound but with out all that heavy grit I wax my front glass once a week it keeps the salt build up off and you get less streaks if water hits it , I hate those water streaks lol
Old 12-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
with or without vinegar either way will get build up off

baby oil will always smear off and have a greasy film left behind turtle wax fills scratches almost like rubbing compound but with out all that heavy grit I wax my front glass once a week it keeps the salt build up off and you get less streaks if water hits it , I hate those water streaks lol
awesome, back to wally world i go for some triple zero thanks, bud

Tags
clean, cleaning, glass, stain, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com