Tank heater problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toughguy1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gal FW with a new 75 watt Top Fin heater. I am concerned that maybe I don't have enough wattage. I want to keep my tank at 78 due to having a tropical angel in the tank. I have adjusted the heater to where by the end of the day, it will acheive about 78.5 per my digital thermometer. However, when I turn the light off at night, and it loses that source of heat, the tank is 76 the next morning. Is this a problem??

Rob

Not a huge problem, but probably not ideal either. 75 watts on a 20 is really borderline. Jeff

I'd be tempted to put another 75 in the opposite corner. That way, if one failed and stopped heating, the other would keep your temperature up to 76/78. And in a worst case scenario, if one of them stuck on, the other one just wouldn't come on and you wouldn't fry your fish. I use two filters on my tanks for the same reasons. Jeff

That is inadaquate heating for a 20g Mofo. Rule of thumb is 5 watts per gallon. I like 2 heaters in a tank as well. I'd purchase a 50 watt heater and allow them to work in tandem.

I think I will just take back the 75 and get a 100. They told me at the lfs that 75 would be OK. Does anybody recommend a target temperature other than 78?

78 is fine for those fish, and I would also recommend getting two smaller heaters rather than one large one. You could just get another 75 or a 50w and put it in the opposite corner.

I will have to see if I have room to fit another heater. However, I am getting what I believe is a consensus that 2 heaters will do two things better: 1.) hold temperature better, and 2.) provide redundant protection if one heater fails. Also, I think I understand that my problem at night (not being able to hold 78) is due to my single heater being too small. In other words, if I were to add wattage in one way or another, I should be able to hold 78 at night.

Rob

Right - your heater(s) should be able to maintain your tank at a constant temp day or night, summer or winter.

unless it gets to hot outside... i have a ebo jager 150 in my 29 gallon. it rarely goes under or over. every so often i see it at 82 but never more :D. i also have tetra whispers which like arent the best but they keep the temp around 74-80

I added a 50 watt heater, and last night for the first night, it held temperature. Thanks for the help.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom