Tank Heater Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad S

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got a quick question. I bought a new Theo heater ($19.99) for my 60g. I got a 200 watt because the calculation in the advertisement said 3 to 5 watts per gallon. 3x60 is 180 watts so I figured 200 should be plenty. However, when the heater got here it said for a 26 to 53 g tank. (didn't see nothin' like that when I ordered it) What do you think? Will it be OK or should I send it back and get the 300?

depends on the room it is in. how cool does the room get vs what temp you want the tank to run at? i am always a bigger fan of using two smaller ones vs one bigger one. this way if something happens like starts to over heat or goes out you have a back up or it will be harder to over heat.

Rooms usually around 70ish. Maybe a little cooler with the A/C on.That's a thought. Maybe I should just get another 200. My old heater's getting hard to control (sad, it's only a couple of months old) and overheating. Your idea might prevent that.

...i am always a bigger fan of using two smaller ones vs one bigger one. this way if something happens like starts to over heat or goes out you have a back up or it will be harder to over heat.

Thanks mgamer. It's a done deal. I just ordered another 200.

Thanks mgamer. It's a done deal. I just ordered another 200.
I bought two 400 watt Theo Heaters and found the Thermostat numbering to be way off and the device itself takes time to adjust. I have them set to 75 and the tank is at 81, when i had them set to 80 the tank went to 88. When adjusted they do work fine. One word of advice, after you make adjustments to the heaters you should baby-sit the tank for a couple of hours and verify the temperature otherwise you make come back to fish broth.

Last edited:
I have found the best way to adjust heaters is if the tank is at the right temp to start with just put the heater in and turn up the dial until the light comes on and then turn down just until the light goes off. The should be set at the temp of the water. If the present temp of the water is too cool, then put the heater in and turn the dial down until the light goes off, then turn up just until the light goes on, leave for a few hours, then if it isnt warn enough, turn up until the light comes on again and leave a few more hours. Keep doing this until you get to the desired temperature. That way the temp comes up slowly and you dont have to trust the numbers on the heater. I havent found many that were accurate in the past. For me I keep my house at 80 degrees summer and winter so I dont use heaters...lol.

I have found the best way to adjust heaters is if the tank is at the right temp to start with just put the heater in and turn up the dial until the light comes on and then turn down just until the light goes off. The should be set at the temp of the water. If the present temp of the water is too cool, then put the heater in and turn the dial down until the light goes off, then turn up just until the light goes on, leave for a few hours, then if it isnt warn enough, turn up until the light comes on again and leave a few more hours. Keep doing this until you get to the desired temperature. That way the temp comes up slowly and you dont have to trust the numbers on the heater. I havent found many that were accurate in the past. For me I keep my house at 80 degrees summer and winter so I dont use heaters...lol.
Normally that's the ticket but these stinking things are electronically controlled and pulse on and off until it reaches temp unlike the older and other models in which the light remains lit while it's on and off when it's off. I almost returned them because it took me about three hours to set these stupid things.

Sorry, most I have used are thermostatically controlled and the light is on when it is heating.

Sorry, most I have used are thermostatically controlled and the light is on when it is heating.
No need to be sorry, The Theo uses some sort of new technology and if I would of known ahead of time I would have gotten something else. A heater is a simple thing and should be kept that way. The heater in my 44 FW cichlid which I bought 12 years ago as a spare works great, I set the temp plugged it in and guess what, It works perfectly and maintains 79.4 rock solid. I have the Theo's in my 120 FOWLR, They do maintain the temp perfectly but getting them there is torture.

No need to be sorry, The Theo uses some sort of new technology and if I would of known ahead of time I would have gotten something else. A heater is a simple thing and should be kept that way. The heater in my 44 FW cichlid which I bought 12 years ago as a spare works great, I set the temp plugged it in and guess what, It works perfectly and maintains 79.4 rock solid. I have the Theo's in my 120 FOWLR, They do maintain the temp perfectly but getting them there is torture.

Aaaargh! You mean my trusty old heater in my 29g (many years old) is still the best one!?! True, it keeps a rock solid temp too. If only I had known. :dope:

Aaaargh! You mean my trusty old heater in my 29g (many years old) is still the best one!?! True, it keeps a rock solid temp too. If only I had known. :dope:
No need to worry, they do work well but like i said it takes a little time to get use to them and adjust, once you get accustom to adjusting them they're just fine, also the new technology is said to be more efficient and will save you money. I personally like the old ones but was unable to find anything suitable for my application, now after getting to know them intimately i really do like them. Remember not to make adjustments according to when the light is on (it will drive you crazy) you must actually monitor temp when adjusting in either direction. What is nice about them is they detents on the adjustment knob which will enable you to make adjustments one click at a time.

No need to worry, they do work well but like i said it takes a little time to get use to them and adjust, once you get accustom to adjusting them they're just fine, also the new technology is said to be more efficient and will save you money. I personally like the old ones but was unable to find anything suitable for my application, now after getting to know them intimately i really do like them. Remember not to make adjustments according to when the light is on (it will drive you crazy) you must actually monitor temp when adjusting in either direction. What is nice about them is they detents on the adjustment knob which will enable you to make adjustments one click at a time.

Yeah, I played that same game with my other heater. I just figured I got a bad one. Guess not. Glad I kept it.

Thanks!

Yeah, I played that same game with my other heater. I just figured I got a bad one. Guess not. Glad I kept it.

Thanks!
No problem.
I thought mine was bad too, but when i saw both of them doing the same thing I figured that 2 bad heaters in the same shipment (not likely).

Take Care
Enjoy your 4th

Back
Top Bottom