tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spartanmax2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I few months a go my brother got me interested in the hobby (he owns a 75 gallon ciclid tank). So i started out with a 20 gallon and got so into it i am hooked.:) But soon i will be looking for a 50 or 55 gallon tank to upgrade too so i need to know good stores/websites to get my tank from. I will also need to know prices and if would be cheaper to buy just tank and applinces seprate or buy a whole set.

p.s. srry abought my spelling:facepalm:

Welcome to AA,

I would spend some time searching Craigslist for a tank there are some great deals to be had, especially in this economy. Stay away from prepackaged kits since the quality of the componments are lacking and you'll spend more in the long run after upgrading things like heaters/filters. I like to buy everything individually since then I can get what I want.

As fas as size I would start with a 75g as well since it carries the footprint of a 55g just deeper, more stocking options and easier to maintain water quality with less flucuations.

Welcome to AA,

I would spend some time searching Craigslist for a tank there are some great deals to be had, especially in this economy. Stay away from prepackaged kits since the quality of the componments are lacking and you'll spend more in the long run after upgrading things like heaters/filters. I like to buy everything individually since then I can get what I want.

As fas as size I would start with a 75g as well since it carries the footprint of a 55g just deeper, more stocking options and easier to maintain water quality with less flucuations.

:welcome: to AA! (y)

Have to agree with Hukit ... plenty of good craigslist deals. Concentrate on the tank and stand ... then get the other components. I suppose if you run across an insane deal that almost seems to good to be true ... let us know ... post the link and members here will be honest with you.

Also a 75gal is a good choice over a 55 ... it's practically the perfect size tank IMO.. plenty big enough for most fish, good room for nice aqua-scaping, but not so large it eats up half a wall space.

Have to add my .02 worth with regard to the 75 vs 55. The 75 is probably the sweet spot in terms of tank value. It is a much better footprint than a 55 for only a few dollars more. Four foot tanks in general are the most cost efficient in that you can get very inexpensive lighting options, in terms of fixtures and 4' tubes are the cheapest to buy.

Welcome to AA.
The craigslist advice is your best bet. 55g tanks are one of the most common sizes on there. Sometimes you can get the tank, the stand and the filters & heaters with it for $100.00-$150.00.
It's pretty much add gravel, decor and cycle. When that's done just add fish of choice (size appropriate of course).
You could spend thousands on an all new set up.
Just watch out for scratches and make sure that it will hold water and the weight of the gravel/sand without leaking.
I got one that held water fine until I added the 50lbs of gravel, then water everywhere. So do your homework first, so you don't get taken.

Back
Top Bottom