Tank Hood Ventilation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
I'm wondering what people use to ventilate hoods that have medium-high output lights under them?

I have 2 x LED lights that have two fans each. They are 110w each and seemed cool in the shop.

I've taken to leaving the front of the hood up as they get pretty warm to touch. Not super hot but I wouldn't let the kids touch them (not that they can get that high up).

I assume it isn't good for LEDs to run too hot?

You could alway position a small room fan behind the hood or if your handy.. Add a computer fan to each light..

The lfs had computer fans so I've been thinking of it. I'm actually tight on room if I mount them at back. I was thinking of drilling and mounting on top of hood but the hood cuts out a lot of noise.

The fans there now with the LEDs look like computer fans (#4) but they don't seem to push/pull the air far enough.

Thanks for the reply, we are coming in to winter here but I don't know how they will go next summer.

I'd look online for some heavy duty comp fans and appropriate power supply, just replace what's there with new ones, you could also drill holes to allow air to be pulled through by fans??

I had a hood like that at one time and I cut out the size of the fan and mounted it on the underside of the hood and put the plastic grate that comes with the fan on the outside of the hood I use two. But why are the led's so hot.

Thanks for ideas. Yes I think I need a more powerful fan to suck air in/out of the hood. The back of the hood is open always (front optional), but I noticed last night I can only feel the fans just above the LEDs. The fans look a decent size, but not powerful enough.

The guy at the lfs said I could leave the hood off but it looks pretty ugly with lights, cords and everything like that.

The LEDs run cool to touch when I have the hood off but get hot under the hood. They sit on the tank cover with a bit of a gap so perhaps that doesn't help but with the hood on seems to be where they heat up. The hood space is not huge, there is perhaps an inch gap between the top of the LED unit and the hood.

I might be able to mount a fan at the back on the underside of the hood to draw air in.

I had a hood like that at one time and I cut out the size of the fan and mounted it on the underside of the hood and put the plastic grate that comes with the fan on the outside of the hood I use two. But why are the led's so hot.

Did you get much extra noise doing that?

I recently added a computer fan (silenx 80mm). Can barely hear it and it keeps the temps down. You can use almost any power supply that is 12v. Just splice the power supply to the fans power cord. I think I paid around $10 for the fan.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396314075.854607.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396314103.244260.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396359544.108387.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396359667.890620.jpg

Thanks for the info - I'll investigate these further. I've hopefully attached some pics. The first shows one LED unit and the second the space under the hood (I hope). The LED units sit on the tank cover and there is a 4ft led strip at the front of these that sits on the tank edges (right pain to find one to fit). The 4ft led kind of tones down the back led units which are very directional (probably too close to tank).

Edit. - the first photo shows the led unit on the left.

Back
Top Bottom