Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank ordered. Technical question.

So i asked you guys about your opinion about reef ready and pre-drilled tanks. You like reef ready < inside overflow boxes> better. I ordered a 125 reef ready. This tank will be in my TV room <next to TV> like my current 90 gal. tank. That is the only place in the house i can do it. That is why that gurgling sound drove me crazy.But that is the past. This is the question for you guys. The guy in the LFS store told me that to make this tank even quieter those 2 holes in each overflows use as a drains and he will drill two returns for each overflow on the back glass. Is he right? 4 drains makes tank more quiet then 2. Please let me know what you think. I have to decide before tuesday.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anyone please. I'm running out of time.....

Old 08-16-2010, 01:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Drill away, yes it works. but you dont need a big drill bit I think its less then 1/8th of an inch.

I have a 210 reef ready and only use the two larger holes for drains. a reef ready tank has 4 holes drilled in the inside overflow boxes(two each side). two large holes are overflow and the small holes are meant for the returns. My drainpipes run extremely quiet, because they are drilled, they gurgled like mad, then I drilled em and they shut up for good.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDevil View Post
Drill away, yes it works. but you dont need a big drill bit I think its less then 1/8th of an inch.

I have a 210 reef ready and only use the two larger holes for drains. a reef ready tank has 4 holes drilled in the inside overflow boxes(two each side). two large holes are overflow and the small holes are meant for the returns. My drainpipes run extremely quiet, because they are drilled, they gurgled like mad, then I drilled em and they shut up for good.
I'm not sure you understand me right. He told me to drill to 1" holes in back glass for each overflow box. Use all 4 holes in overflow boxes for drains. Where I should drill 1/8 holes???? So I do not need thouse 1" holes on the back???/
Old 08-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

The two larger holes are your drains and the other two are your returns. If the tank does not come with DURSO type standpipes for the drains, then either make them or buy them. That will keep the tank quiet. I have a RR 125 that does not have Durso standpipes. I cut off the perforated part of the pipe leaving the solid pvc. I used ccCapt's idea of placing a plastic cup with airline tubing in the top over one of the drains. Quieter than the low hum of the return pump now.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
4 drains makes tank more quiet then 2. Please let me know what you think.
That makes no sense to me. My 125 ReefReady came with 2 Durso standpipes (1 for each overflow) and it is dead quiet.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

dont drill the holes in the back, whoever told you to do that to a reef ready tank needs to be slapped in the ear.

the two large holes are drains, the smaller holes are returns, its done deal, they are made like this for simplicity and keeping the plumbing together. IMO outside plumbing looks like crap on a tank such as these.

Just get a set of durso's for the drains and it will be quiet. But do not drill the glass, that would be a big waste of money.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

My 125 has the same thing Larry has and it makes no noise at all.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com