Tank Overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mreasley

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Everytime my pumps lose power, my 200 gallon tank starts to overflow. I've tried filling air holes and opening them up again and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what works on any given day... Any thoughts from the community???

55 gallon sump with 1 intake and 2 drains above... I'm still a novice at this, so I may not be using the correct terminology.

It overflows without power? Are you running some unknown gravity modification device? Water should not flow up without power.

I'll assume that it's the sump that overflows. First you may be filling your system too full. Fill your sump with your pump off and the display is full. Start your pump and wait until the display tank is full and your overflows are running at full capacity. Mark your sump to show when the system is full while it's running.

If your pump output into your display tank doesn't have a anti siphon hole it will start a siphon back into your sump when the pump is off. The anti siphon hole should be about 1/16" just above the waterline in the main tank. When the pump is running the anti siphon hole will leak a small amount of water and will be under water. When the pump stops it will break the siphon by allowing air into the output hose and it will be above the waterline. Good luck.

It overflows without power? Are you running some unknown gravity modification device? Water should not flow up without power.

That's some crazy physics O_O

Do you mean you have your sump ABOVE the tank, and you pump water from the display and it overflows back into the display from the sump? (like a reverse system)

Maybe not, but I don't see how a display can overflow from something located below.

Possibilities:
1. Sump overflowing because your return line siphons water from the tank, or if your water levels is not set correctly in the sump to accept water from tank in an internal overflow.
2. If HOB overflow - incorrect setting of water levels inside the boxes so you lose siphon with a power out & tank overflows when power comes back on.
2. If sump is level or above tank, (some kind of reverse sump system, like in a pond), then water from sump can overflow tank from the drain or return line.

Article on how to setup the water levels so you don't have a flood (also note the link at bottom to a 3 part article on setting up a sump.):
Melevsreef.com - What is a Sump?

Back
Top Bottom