Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tank Prices

I am looking for reliable tanks that are affordable. What are the price ranges on tanks and where should I go to shop for them? I've been looking at online sites and it says that at Petsmart, a 36 gallon is about $259, and a 50 gallon is around $349. Is this about the right price at most places or can I get them a little bit cheaper around the same gallon area?

Old 04-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

www.craigslist.org

Old 04-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You will not find better deals than craigslist. When I first started out I went to petsmart and paid wayyyy to much.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

+2 on Craigslist. Just know what you're looking at and what it would go for new. It seems like you either get a great deal, or you're dealing with people who must have gold plated their tanks. There's been one on Chicago Craigslist for a 10g and a 20H on a wrought iron stand for nearly $200. It comes with some livebearers, cheap equipment, and clown puke gravel. It's been up for months and I laugh when I see it posted again.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Those prices in the first post seem a little high to me. Usually petsmarts and the like will have a dollar/gallon sale every few months. That is when I got my 30g long for $30. That is probably the only time I would buy from them, and certainly not any of their livestock.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
+2 on Craigslist. Just know what you're looking at and what it would go for new. It seems like you either get a great deal, or you're dealing with people who must have gold plated their tanks. There's been one on Chicago Craigslist for a 10g and a 20H on a wrought iron stand for nearly $200. It comes with some livebearers, cheap equipment, and clown puke gravel. It's been up for months and I laugh when I see it posted again.
ROFL.... I love that term!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
Those prices in the first post seem a little high to me. Usually petsmarts and the like will have a dollar/gallon sale every few months. That is when I got my 30g long for $30. That is probably the only time I would buy from them, and certainly not any of their livestock.
Petco should be doing the $1/G sale in late Aug - early Sept. Last year it was good for tanks up to 29G.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post

So you can get a 180 gallon tank for $180?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

As far as the petsmarts out in my area are concerned, they never have tanks higher than 75 in store, the rest you have to order online. I will tell you that in my areas ive seen 135 gallons on CL for 100 bucks. When i bought my 36 gallon bowfront as one of their package deals i paid 460 bucks. I didnt know about CL and last month i purchased my 250 gal with stand for 500 bucks, so as some other said on here it depends on what your looking for and whats included.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

There are some limits, I think it varies from store to store so call and ask around. I bought mine from Pet Supplies Plus (now Burton's Total Pets) and a 30g was the biggest you could get with the $1/gallon sale. They were even hesitant to give me the 30g long. They told me it was only for the tall 30g's.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Isn't it better to have a longer tank than tall? Do the fish care or is it just more conveinant for humans to be able to reach the tank when it's on a stand?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com