Tank Stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tend to over build, especially with tank stands, going back to make corrections after the fact is out of the question. Who wants to drain and move a tank?? I cracked a 40b on a slacker stand.. never again. The ply on top would prevent twisting.
Op- Place your right hand and left hand on corresponding sides, move one forward while pulling back with the other, pin the bottom with your foot. If it moves now it will move much more with a thousand pounds of fluid on top. Take into account where it's going. I'd it's on a framed floor than it may move when you walk by. Over time the movements can compromise the stand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ah . . . I think I see where you are going now, but I don't think what you are suggesting is going to have the effect that you are thinking in this case. At best, based on the way this stand is put together, the only part it will prevent from twisting are the top four boards themselves. It can't prevent any movement in the sides, or twisting of the bottom of the stand as you are describing, as the sides are only connected to the top boards with screws. A piece of plywood across the back from top to bottom will do far more to prevent twisting or movement of the stand than a piece across the top. Most people today tend to overbuild, and I agree that making corrections after the fact is out of the question. With a 60 gallon tank, he will have right around 500 lbs of fluid weight, and with rocks, tank, lid, etc. will probably be close to 700 lbs total weight, and you are correct that it will tend to move more with that weight on top of it. Good point on the floor as well, although in this case, unless the house is pretty old or poorly built, it shouldn't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom