Tank Stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madstyle1

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I had a tank stand build the other day. My question is should i put plywood on top for more support or should i leave it how it is?

The stand is for my shallow tank 48x24x12

Attachments

• 20160523_134038.jpg
    20160523_134038.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 108
Looking at how the legs are kind of makes me nervous especially once a tank full of water gets put on it, I can almost see it doing the scissor fold , I used L shaped legs to support the weight , I built 4 separate sections almost like 4 walls in a house , so it didn't fold up on me , this pict should show what I'm talking about with the legs . this is what gives the support so the stand wont shift. Just want you to be sure if someone leans on it it don't ca-laps my mother in law thinks its a leaning post so I'm glad I went the extra mile , another concern would be young kids I wouldn't want it to fall on them either . I know I got safety on the brain

img_3362518_0_1e8a23e67ffaae8cc5e85cf48ecfe5e6.jpg

img_3362518_1_848738e5b561037e98db33bc9170a7d1.jpg

I used laminate flooring to wrap mine .

So should i add more wood? The guy used kreg joint method. Im not very handy thats why i had someone else do it lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like the way those joints work but I still would be concerned of a front to back shift
just looking at how the 2x4s are placed , like I said I'm just a safety junkie, lean on it see if you get any front to back shift or vice versa .

Ok ill gove it a shot

I guess my original picture didnt show it but it does have supporting L shape brace.

I guess the angle of my orginal pic didnt show it.

Attachments

• 20160525_071754.jpg
    20160525_071754.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20160525_071801.jpg
    20160525_071801.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 84
now you know you have a sturdy stand that you wont need to worry about ca-lapse ,
I've just seen so many that would have fallen apart just looking at them.

My question is where is the front and where is the back lol

You'll want to put some plywood on that bad boy to keep it from racking/twisting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was thinking to put it on top and on the bottom

Top back and sides would be best. Top and back with angle bracing on sides would suffice.

How think should plywood be

3/4" would be ideal, 1/2" is fine though

For the size tank you are looking at, the 2x4 rack you have there is sufficient. Additional bracing might give you peace of mind, but really isn't necessary. I would definitely not add any plywood on the top of the stand, as Brookster said the sides and back would be best. Hopefully your builder squared and leveled the 2x4 top - double check it with a level. provided there is no twist and it's flat from board to board, that is a much better surface than a piece of plywood is ever going to give you. Additionally because of its composition, plywood is very difficult to get a good seal on the edges of, which means it tends to absorb water and swell over time. Wrapping it with something will of course make it more aesthetically pleasing. Make sure you have sealed the 2x material, so that they don't absorb water and you shouldn't have any warping issues, provided your builder used good dry materials - if he didn't, wrapping it isn't going to stop it from twisting.

Ill add plywood on sides and back. I will sand it down and seal it with lots of coats

Why not the top Wy?

Why not the top Wy?

In this case, assuming the top 2x4 are completely level and transitions are smooth, and that this is a standard glass tank, placing plywood on the top serves no purpose. It adds nothing to the structural integrity of the stand. Adding plywood to the sides and the back will prevent the stand from folding up or falling over, although with the L-shaped leg supports that isn't really necessary in this case either. It also adds nothing support-wise to the tank. The bottom black lip of the tank is the only part that makes contact with the stand, so all that extra wood under the tank is really just wasted. All that of course changes if the tank is acrylic. Additionally plywood, if not properly sealed, is far more likely to absorb moisture and swell than those 2 x 4's are, and that is more likely to twist the tank and break a seal or a pane of glass.

The truth of the matter is that this particular stand is way over kill for a tank of this size (60 gallons). But generally speaking, the current trend in DIY stands today as a friend of mine says, "is to build stands that two elephants could fornicate on top of, without collapsing." This tank would be adequately supported with nothing more than a piece of 3/4" plywood stood-on-end under each end, provided you had a way to ensure the plywood would stay perfectly upright. All that is really necessary is to provide support under the black plastic rim of the tank.

I tend to over build, especially with tank stands, going back to make corrections after the fact is out of the question. Who wants to drain and move a tank?? I cracked a 40b on a slacker stand.. never again. The ply on top would prevent twisting.
Op- Place your right hand and left hand on corresponding sides, move one forward while pulling back with the other, pin the bottom with your foot. If it moves now it will move much more with a thousand pounds of fluid on top. Take into account where it's going. I'd it's on a framed floor than it may move when you walk by. Over time the movements can compromise the stand.

I just tried leaning on it and doesnt feel to twist and its very sturdy. I will check the level on it later today.

Back
Top Bottom