Tank stand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It should have a weight tolerance listed somewhere in the assembly manual, or in whatever paperwork you have.

It is really depending on those 4 very small legs to hold the weight of the entire chest plus tank plus contents of drawers. It may be fine but it was not designed to support weight like you plan to put on it. It would be better if the tank was almost exactly the same size as the chest, so the perimeter pieces, or the vertically placed lumber, was supporting the weight. What would be even better than that would be a piece of furniture that had no legs, but rested entirely upon the floor.

If you can calculate the weight of the tank/water/rocks/whatever and get enough people to equal that weight, and all of you sit on the chest and kind of wiggle around to see if it moves, then you might have a better idea of how it might hold the tank.

I recently helped my neighbor one night after a desk he had a 29-gal sitting on broke (had small legs holding it up) and his tank smashed on the floor - we spend the evening picking up fish and fry and pieces of glass, and vacuuming up the water and gravel. What a mess. I'm a little leery, so I'll play devil's advocate and rain on your parade - sorry! :?

AGA lists the weight of a full 37gal at 415lbs. Much more weight than just placing a tv on a table. My guess is it is to long and will sag in the middle after time. The drawers wont open anymore than who knows, it could all come crashing down.

Isn't it also true that IKEA does not make the strongest furnitures out there? I would probably let the idea go...

Ikea makes good furniture that generally holds up OK. However being able to hold a full drawers load, and being able to hold over 400 pounds PLUS full drawers over a long period of time is totally different. Almost anyting can hold up 400 pounds for a short period of time. Opening and closing the drawers also causes movement in the structure. I also agree that the design is not the best for holding up a tank, since it only has 4 legs that contact the ground, is long, and has no support in the middle.

Another thing is that chest is particle board, which typically does not like to get wet. Once it gets wet, it swells and loses its strength.

I would call Ikea and ask them what the chest is rated for. Unless they say something well over the weight of the tank, get something else.

I've got my 10 gallon on an IKEA dresser, and it is definitely not that structurally sound. Granted, the drawers that you are looking at are solid wood while my dresser is particle board.

The top of my dresser has bowed in the middle ever since we put the tank on it last year...it seems to be holding up ok for the time being, but I definitely wouldn't do it long-term. At least for me, we'll be getting a 'proper' tank stand when I move next month!

Ok, thanks guys...you have pretty much confirmed my thoughts. :) I think I just needed to hear from others that it really was a bad idea. Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom