Tank stands and questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I'm new to the fish hobby but not new to construction and building codes etc... As I've been a fire chief for some time now.

Anyway I bought a pine stand for my 75 gallon and it looks nice but I have a few questions. I did research online and they say it's physics but I'd like to know more.

I have posted pictures below to show what I mean, but most of you probably already k ow anyway. A visual is always a good thing.

Why is the stand hollow? Now cross beams? And why does it rest solely on the outer perimeter? It's doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't you want the entire tank supported? And why is there about 2 inches between the bottom glass and the stand and yet the outer tank is supported?

Is this indeed enough support for all that weight? I feel like I could destroy the stand with my bare hands and this is gonna support over 800lbs?

Any input would greatly be appreciated as I'm a guy you needs to know reasons why and I guess "how it works"

View attachment 62970

View attachment 62971

View attachment 62972

View attachment 62973

View attachment 62974

Last edited:
Here's a shot of another tank only with a center brace showing. Mine is underneath that little sheet of wood.

View attachment 62977

This is really all you need? My tank is literally resting 1 inch all around the perimeter. That's all you need? I just don't understand. They makes these stands, do they stress test them?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that tanks are made to direct the load on the outer part of the tank therefore the stand is hollow there is no weight to bare there.

Sharkbait54 said:
I'm pretty sure that tanks are made to direct the load on the outer part of the tank therefore the stand is hollow there is no weight to bare there.

Ok, still trying to grasp this whole thing. It interests me.

I'm no expert but could it be that the stand is too small / tank too big. It seems that the thank should fit inside of the raised outer edge of the stand.

That's how the stands work. I have the exact same stand. It supports only the outer edges. Never had a problem.

I recently got a 180 gallon & the stand for it seems to be made out of plywood(not sure what it is made out of, but looks like it) & I don't trust it supporting all that dead weight

I thought the same about my stand. But it does fine.

Well its simple really. First of all you could run a sump so they need a hole for that and there's no force on the bottom of the tank. Think about it the bottom is a solid sheet of glass. The sides are silicone so that's why you would want to only support the side. Also if the whole bottom was flat pressure would bow out the bottom glass. With the sides supported and the tank slightly off the ground forces the corners all together.

Silly question, but isnt the stand upside down in those pics?

You can see a center brace on the bottom - the part you have facing the floor.

Chriznat20 said:
Silly question, but isnt the stand upside down in those pics?

You can see a center brace on the bottom - the part you have facing the floor.

Lmao I just noticed that. I looked at those pics it indeed looks upside down if u can see that plywood through the bottom of the tank like that.

Back
Top Bottom