Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2011, 02:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank stands and questions.

Ok I'm new to the fish hobby but not new to construction and building codes etc... As I've been a fire chief for some time now.

Anyway I bought a pine stand for my 75 gallon and it looks nice but I have a few questions. I did research online and they say it's physics but I'd like to know more.

I have posted pictures below to show what I mean, but most of you probably already k ow anyway. A visual is always a good thing.

Why is the stand hollow? Now cross beams? And why does it rest solely on the outer perimeter? It's doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't you want the entire tank supported? And why is there about 2 inches between the bottom glass and the stand and yet the outer tank is supported?

Is this indeed enough support for all that weight? I feel like I could destroy the stand with my bare hands and this is gonna support over 800lbs?

Any input would greatly be appreciated as I'm a guy you needs to know reasons why and I guess "how it works"

Attachment 62970

Attachment 62971

Attachment 62972

Attachment 62973

Attachment 62974

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a shot of another tank only with a center brace showing. Mine is underneath that little sheet of wood.

Attachment 62977

This is really all you need? My tank is literally resting 1 inch all around the perimeter. That's all you need? I just don't understand. They makes these stands, do they stress test them?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 11-26-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm pretty sure that tanks are made to direct the load on the outer part of the tank therefore the stand is hollow there is no weight to bare there.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait54
I'm pretty sure that tanks are made to direct the load on the outer part of the tank therefore the stand is hollow there is no weight to bare there.
Ok, still trying to grasp this whole thing. It interests me.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm no expert but could it be that the stand is too small / tank too big. It seems that the thank should fit inside of the raised outer edge of the stand.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

IMO it's fine! Suppose to be that way.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's how the stands work. I have the exact same stand. It supports only the outer edges. Never had a problem.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I recently got a 180 gallon & the stand for it seems to be made out of plywood(not sure what it is made out of, but looks like it) & I don't trust it supporting all that dead weight
Old 11-26-2011, 06:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I thought the same about my stand. But it does fine.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well its simple really. First of all you could run a sump so they need a hole for that and there's no force on the bottom of the tank. Think about it the bottom is a solid sheet of glass. The sides are silicone so that's why you would want to only support the side. Also if the whole bottom was flat pressure would bow out the bottom glass. With the sides supported and the tank slightly off the ground forces the corners all together.

Tags
tan, tank stand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com