Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank temp

A week ago I switched from an HOB to a canister filter & ever since my water temp has dropped 3-4 degrees. I've moved the heater in relation to the output but no change. I've upped the temp on the heater & it's slowly going up but I'm wondering if I need a bigger heater or need to re-arrange input-outflow-heater. It's a 46g w/ Fluval 306 & an Aqueon 150 htr.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 150watt heater should be fine for a 46f tank. What temp is the room where the aquarium is? I've got a combined 1100w in my 220g+ 125g sump. I do this because I don't keep the thermostat in my living room on. When I don't have the house heater on, the temp in the room can drop to the high 50s.

If your room is cold, you may need more wattage in heaters. I'd get a second 150w heater. 2 small heaters is better than one large one.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:54 AM   #3
Lt.
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
A 150watt heater should be fine for a 46f tank. What temp is the room where the aquarium is? I've got a combined 1100w in my 220g+ 125g sump. I do this because I don't keep the thermostat in my living room on. When I don't have the house heater on, the temp in the room can drop to the high 50s.

If your room is cold, you may need more wattage in heaters. I'd get a second 150w heater. 2 small heaters is better than one large one.
My thoughts, EXACTLY
Old 12-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's what I was wondering. My room temp drops to the lowest 65. I just didn't have this issue when I had the HOB so I wasn't sure if there was a certain way to arrange things. Right now the heater is set around 84 per its thermostat but the tank temp shows 76. I'll get another heater. Thanks.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com