Tank upgrade - filter/skimmer/PHs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bpeitzke

Aquarium Advice Activist
We've gotten a new, 65-gal tall tank to upgrade from our FOWLR 36-gal tank. I'm planning on getting a new filter, protein skimmer, and PH's. I'd appreciate recommendations on ones appropriate for a tank of this size.

E.g. our 36-gal tank uses a Fluval 204 cannister filter. I can go with a Fluval 304 that is rated for tanks of this size - but perhaps someone has suggestions on better alternatives? Not that I've been dissatisfied with the Fluval - it's been reliable; only downside is difficulty in priming it after cleaning.

TIA

Bob Peitzke

How much LR are you planning for the tank? With enough LR is used you may not need to use other filtration like a canister. The use a good skimmer and powerheads along with the LR will be all the filtration you need. I like maxi-jet 1200 powerheads. They are not too expensive and have proven to be very reliable. I a 65 tall I would recoment three or four of them. There is a lot of height in that tank and more powerheads will allow you to make sure every area of the tank has water movement.

I have a fluval 305 and priming it is not problem to start. Once started and while cleaning the filter, the water remins in the water lines. After cleaning you only reconnect the piece that holds both water lines (takes 10 seconds at most), pull up the lever to allow water into the cannister (takes 2 seconds), and once the cannister fills up, plug it back in. Very easy.

I agree with Brian that LR and a skimmer is really all you need. Moving this to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

i've no issues with my 204 however to your question perhaps create a sump? i'm not suggesting using the 36gallon (i'd reset it as another tank) but if you wanted to it'd be more than big enough

Back
Top Bottom