Tank Volume Q.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SithAquarist

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a new tank off a nice individual on craigslist and it is a pentagon corner tank and i calculated the volume on it and i keep coming up with 47.99gal...this is my first corner penta-tank and i am just wondering is it common for them to label this a 44gal??

also my math isn't a factor i'm a mechanical engineering student so i think i can handle simple geometry lol. Even saying that i did it two different ways and got identical outcomes. This really isn't that big of a deal to me more of a curiosity factor really.

Yes, the actual volume can be quite different from what they call it.

Two different companies make 30breeders. Both are 18" wide and 12" tall, but one is 30" long and the other is 36" long.

hm interesting i will have to keep that in mind thanks for the answers

I just filled my 37gl again after a break from the hobby the last few years. I have a bucket that has gl measurement marks for 1 and 2 gl. I did it myself so its fairly accurate. So I filled the tank 2gl at a time.
To my surprise at 27gl it was at the bottom of the plastic frame and full. I have about 1,5 inches of gravel a good sized piece of driftwood and a 6 inch dia lava lock, plus a few hollow plastic aquarium decorations.
Surfing the net I find out that Aquarium company's measure tank volume using outside dimensions and to the vary top. So I measured from the inside and used the height of the water level it will normally be at not the top.
I came up with 31.5gl. Not even close to 37gl. I'm guessing the difference between 31.5 and 27 is the gravel and decorations displacing water.
The formula Using inches. L x W x H x 0.00433 = gallons
Maybe everyone should know the actual volume of their tank for adding chemicals, medications or figuring the fish load of the tank. I'm sure it will vary by size and maker.

happy fish watching.

Back
Top Bottom