Tanks leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
So about three weeks ago one of my tanks spring a leak. My dad then took all the silicone out and sealed it all up for me again. I filled the tank up and it held water so I left it for half an hour. Everything was fine so I emptied it, brought it inside and set it up. Now it's been a little over a week and last night my dad came running down stairs asking were ours hose was. Right away I knew what was going on.

Basically my question is why do tanks randomly start to leak. Our ac is by the tank, does glass expand and contract when warmed and cooled or is it just the tanks time? Anybody have any reasoning for it? Someone asked my dad if he had to much rock in the tank... I never knew that mattered if it does.

Any opinions on this?

If the tank leaks after a reseal, it wasn't done properly. Either all of the old silicone wasn't removed or there was a problem with the application of the new, or it wasn't cleaned well enough with alcohol or acetone prior to application of the silicone. Empty the tank, restrip all of the silicone out and redo. leave it for about 3days to cure before adding water. I like to wait until the vinegar smell is gone.

If the tank leaks after a reseal, it wasn't done properly. Either all of the old silicone wasn't removed or there was a problem with the application of the new, or it wasn't cleaned well enough with alcohol or acetone prior to application of the silicone. Empty the tank, restrip all of the silicone out and redo. leave it for about 3days to cure before adding water. I like to wait until the vinegar smell is gone.

+1 to BillD

I would also suggest to fill the tank somewhere that wont get damaged if it leaks again, perhaps a garage or shed if you can get the tank level. I would let it sit again for at least a week to make sure it stays sealed before setting it up in its permanent location.

Good luck! :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom