Taotronics 120w LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie.636

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been told by a few members that this is a good lighting system. I don't know how I feel about hanging it from the ceiling. Has anyone set this up any other way? Brackets, desk lamp, etc... Love to see some pictures of everyone's set up.

And if anyone recommends a different lighting system around the same price. I hope to have different kinds of coral and be supported

mounted to the frame with flag pole mounts
img_2447995_0_dd1e0aee471cbaec2eb23bb5f1d74f2c.jpg

I got the same set up as the banker. With a prettier 'J' hook. You can get them at Home Depot in gardening for $10.00. Find a stud and 2 2" wood screws. If you can't find a stud then use the plastic expanders.

I got the same set up as the banker. With a prettier 'J' hook. You can get them at Home Depot in gardening for $10.00. Find a stud and 2 2" wood screws. If you can't find a stud then use the plastic expanders.

I think that's what I'm gonna do!

led brackets that bolt to back of ur stand

Here is what I built for my leds an adjustable bracket for the lights with no dimmers and to place the light in a desired place. Im a welder so metal Fab is not a problem. I charge $30 for 1 bracket, and if u need 2 like that 8 bulb t5 fixture I charge $60 or trade. I've done made all kinds for people around Hou. I even make them for nanos. Just an idea here r a few pics.

Attachments

• securedownload-1-1.jpg
    securedownload-1-1.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 116
  • securedownload-1.jpg
    securedownload-1.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20130520_185641.jpg
    IMG_20130520_185641.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20130507_193444.jpg
    IMG_20130507_193444.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 74
One more pic. This is the best way I know for looks and style without the holes in the ceiling or wall. And if u have a dimmer like mine. I put my light about 4in off of my tank so I dont have all that extra light coming over the sides. But I only have an oceanic cube 37g with a 120w led on it. Just switched from 144w no dimmer. Hope this helps. Thanks Karl

Attachments

• IMG_20130506_205552.jpg
    IMG_20130506_205552.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 75
This isn't a Taotronics or even an LED, but a Current USA Sunpod (metal halide) I just hung over my 40 last night. (Same principal applies.) The hooks were $6 each and the cable was $1.50 and the ferrules were another $1.50 I believe. The most expensive part for me was buying the tool to crimp the ferrules. The hook on the right is in a stud and the other hook is set into the self tapping plastic anchors rated to hold 79 pounds each. (I tend to over-engineer anything hanging over my tanks.) The tank is a little cloudy from tinkering with the retunr pump in the sump right before I shot the photo.

41906-albums12471-picture56865.jpg

This isn't a Taotronics or even an LED, but a Current USA Sunpod (metal halide) I just hung over my 40 last night. (Same principal applies.) The hooks were $6 each and the cable was $1.50 and the ferrules were another $1.50 I believe. The most expensive part for me was buying the tool to crimp the ferrules. The hook on the right is in a stud and the other hook is set into the self tapping plastic anchors rated to hold 79 pounds each. (I tend to over-engineer anything hanging over my tanks.) The tank is a little cloudy from tinkering with the retunr pump in the sump right before I shot the photo.

41906-albums12471-picture56865.jpg

What is the purpose of the plant hanger? If ur light r still touching ur tank. Plant hangers not a bad idea I guess.but when it comes to putting a tank off the wall or towards the middle of a room, plant hangers deff wouldn't work.. well either way good luck.. the most expensive part for mine was the $6 can of permanent acrylic paint to put on the bracket. Everything else was made from scrap at my job.$6 total if u have the know how's.:dance::dance::dance::fish2:

What is the purpose of the plant hanger? If ur light r still touching ur tank. Plant hangers not a bad idea I guess.but when it comes to putting a tank off the wall or towards the middle of a room, plant hangers deff wouldn't work.. well either way good luck.. the most expensive part for mine was the $6 can of permanent acrylic paint to put on the bracket. Everything else was made from scrap at my job.$6 total if u have the know how's.:dance::dance::dance::fish2:

The plant hangers suspend it out far enough from the wall that the whole tank is lit. The fixture isn't touching the tank at all although the angle its shot from may look like it is. That fixture is maybe 7" wide over a 18" deep tank and suspended about 6" from the water surface. (I had to do this because it's a 30" fixture over a 36" wide tank.)

If the tank is in the middle of the room and hanging from a ceiling isn't an option, you can suspend it from a canopy or cut a hole in a canopy where the fixture sits on a lip. Look up Mr. Saltwater Tank TV where he reviews the Radions to see how he made his canopy.

Last edited:
The plant hangers suspend it out far enough from the wall that the whole tank is lit. The fixture isn't touching the tank at all although the angle its shot from may look like it is. That fixture is maybe 7" wide over a 18" deep tank and suspended about 6" from the water surface. (I had to do this because it's a 30" future over a 36" wide tank.)

If the tank is in the middle of the room and hanging from a ceiling isn't an option, you can suspend it from a canopy or cut a hole in a canopy where the future sits on a lip. Look up Mr. Saltwater Tank TV where he reviews the Radions to see how he made his canopy.

O OK , the shot does make it look like that.

How does your bracket attach to the glass tank?

If you're talking about mine, it's not attached to the tank at all. If you're talking about kbeezy's, those brackets are attached to the stand and come up from behind the tank.

brackets

If you're talking about mine, it's not attached to the tank at all. If you're talking about kbeezy's, those brackets are attached to the stand and come up from behind the tank.

Rutrag is absolutely right. I usually make my brackets on order,because tanks r diff height and depth. But most standard are 18-24in tall 18in depth r the most common sizes I get. All depending on the setup up of tank,stand and lights really depends on how I would build the bracket...

Back
Top Bottom