Taotronics LED fixtures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im going to home depot tomorrow for a chain so I can change the height as necessary without hassle

I also have window screen over It for now too. When both lights are on its very much white light. Can I supplement with some kind of colored lights for aesthetic appeal of coral color that won't add par etc?

Of course. However the fixtures I have are very much blue even when both are on.

scottayy said:
Of course. However the fixtures I have are very much blue even when both are on.

Ya mine is the white fixture that has 30 white and 25 blue I didn't know it'd make so much of a difference. What sort of lights would I add for color then?

Ajm said:
Ya mine is the white fixture that has 30 white and 25 blue I didn't know it'd make so much of a difference. What sort of lights would I add for color then?

You turn both lights at the same time?

Kio707 said:
No, just u said no color was coming out. U can run blues and still get growth.

Okay thanks good to know. Now that I'm used to it I'm liking the shade more and more. I will have to make a good for my next tank for sure there's a lot of light in the room I'd like to block.

I run about 60% blue and the rest 10k white. The light spectrum photographs naturally and I like it fine. I don't care for the black light poster effect some go for. But thats personal taste. You can add red and cyan LEDs to spike up some of the colors, but the corals won't care.

Gregcoyote said:
I run about 60% blue and the rest 10k white. The light spectrum photographs naturally and I like it fine. I don't care for the black light poster effect some go for. But thats personal taste. You can add red and cyan LEDs to spike up some of the colors, but the corals won't care.

Ya I like the natural whiter light for the whole tank I just want to bring out the colors of my coral more if it was possible. Thanks for the response.

You know you can run the whites and the blues at the same time, right? It doesn't have to be one mode or the other. I've found that when both are on together it runs a blue-er color than most light fixtures. The corals look great.

Not sure, there are multiple manufactures. The ones I imported used a little cheap controller box and were computer programmable. The Tautronics unit I tested was almost identical in PAR and even design to the ones I use. I think these have a small knob that dims the white side and another one for the blue side. As long as the wattage lines up and the lenses are right for the coverage you want, they will probably be okay.

On a side note, I am finding that even with Acros, we are using too much LED light. I finally bought a PAR meter and my findings will be published this weekend, but I was surprised.

Not sure, there are multiple manufactures. The ones I imported used a little cheap controller box and were computer programmable. The Tautronics unit I tested was almost identical in PAR and even design to the ones I use. I think these have a small knob that dims the white side and another one for the blue side. As long as the wattage lines up and the lenses are right for the coverage you want, they will probably be okay.

On a side note, I am finding that even with Acros, we are using too much LED light. I finally bought a PAR meter and my findings will be published this weekend, but I was surprised.

Can't wait for this report. mr_x did a par report too and i'm curious to see how yours compares. I know for sure that my acro needs to be moved down away from the light some.

I shipped one to him to test and I think he found it to be almost if not the same. I will be running my own independent tests as I am using one of the new dense LED chips for a light I am building.

Do you guys think one of these is too much for a 40 breeder?this is my first reef and I'm very unsure about lighting.

Gregcoyote said:
I use one over my 30 gallon frag tank.

Is your 30 36 inches by 18 ? . Like I said in my previous post I'm totally clueless on lighting lol. How high is yours hung above the water?

Just about. I started with it several feet above the water surface and lowered it over several weeks to about 10" over the water.

Back
Top Bottom