Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Ajm
Aquarium Advice Freak

Taotronics LED fixtures

I'm looking into getting these LEDs for my upcoming reef. I plan on keeping mainly soft corals and nems. I plan on a 4 foot long tank possibly 3 foot. I was wondering how many of the fixtures would I need for each size tank with my coral choices. Thank you

Old 08-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #2
Ajm
Aquarium Advice Freak

Planning on 65-80g so about 18-24" depth and 15-18" width if I'm not mistaken.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

A 4ft tank would require 2 fixtures.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have 3 over my 4ft by 3 ft tank ad they work great. 2 are ttronnics and 1 is evolution

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2961693422.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	115314
Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Ajm
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay cool thanks guys. I keep asking the same questions I feel like but I just really want to do things right the first time. I'll get 2 Tao tronics dimmable fixtures on eBay pretty soon here. Hope to order my tank Friday. And get part by part of everything else with each paycheck. Gonna be some time before I'm all up and running.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I buy the lights Taotronics sells direct from the factory. Did not see them offering the dimmable fixture yet. I have them and they work nicely. This same factory builds panels from 60 watts to 400 watts. I use a 300 watt for my center light and can grow SPS like weeds. Taotronics is a major importer, so if they carry the light the price is very good. With shipping I pay about the same price they offer the panels for. I have used about 30 of them so far and had one early panel fail (it was mine, not a customers thank heavens) . The factory supplied me with spare parts, so I can fix them in my shop.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Ajm
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
I buy the lights Taotronics sells direct from the factory. Did not see them offering the dimmable fixture yet. I have them and they work nicely. This same factory builds panels from 60 watts to 400 watts. I use a 300 watt for my center light and can grow SPS like weeds. Taotronics is a major importer, so if they carry the light the price is very good. With shipping I pay about the same price they offer the panels for. I have used about 30 of them so far and had one early panel fail (it was mine, not a customers thank heavens) . The factory supplied me with spare parts, so I can fix them in my shop.
Ya I'm not sure it's actual taotronics, but I read a few reviews and watched YouTube videos on the light in question and they all were good. Would you recommend the non dimmable actual taotronics? I heard they are too strong sometimes.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I would recommend them. The mistake many people make is underestimating the amount of usable light LEDs create. It may not look as bright to you, but it may be enough to.burn corals. Start them off high and lower them if possible. If that can't be done, use some linen to block some of the light temporarily and allow your corals to adjust slowly.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
Ajm
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
I would recommend them. The mistake many people make is underestimating the amount of usable light LEDs create. It may not look as bright to you, but it may be enough to.burn corals. Start them off high and lower them if possible. If that can't be done, use some linen to block some of the light temporarily and allow your corals to adjust slowly.
Would the only signs of it being too intense be bleaching? Are there signs that I would be able to pick up on before there is an issue of that severity?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

? I have heard different answers. The ones one have are non-dimmable. Some say min 12 inches from water mine are about 10. What do you thk is best?

Tags
fixture, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com