Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2013, 04:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Taotronics lighting schedule

Hi all. I have a set of 120 watt lights. Currently, I have them on from 3pm to midnight. My rationale being that in the morning and afternoon it would be fine with natural light.

I just got a pom pom xenia. A few nights ago my son woke me up at 4am and I noticed that the xenia was closed up. It's this normal?

Just concerned cause this is my first coral...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Old 10-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My Xenia closes at night as well, so it sounds perfectly normal, from what I've heard Xenia is almost impossible to kill and almost as impossible to get rid of if you tire of it

Old 10-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

By the way what % do you have the lights set at
Old 10-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I set them as low as possible, which is still pretty bright...

I do wonder if I should get night lights of some sort... it does get really dark at night... it'd be nice to somehow simulate the moon.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup318 View Post
I set them as low as possible, which is still pretty bright...

I do wonder if I should get night lights of some sort... it does get really dark at night... it'd be nice to somehow simulate the moon.
just slowly fade out on the lowest power for both, fade the white to blue only on lowest power setting for a moonlight setting, then completely off for night time.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Taotronics lighting schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbeast View Post
My Xenia closes at night as well, so it sounds perfectly normal, from what I've heard Xenia is almost impossible to kill and almost as impossible to get rid of if you tire of it
I guess I must be the exceptional case I can never keep Xenia's they will last about 4 months in my tank and disappear.

But following along because I just got the taotronics and have not decided on an good lighting schedule yet.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Even if you do use actinics for moon lights, dark is good....... all creatures go through a circadian rhythm, and need some time of total dark for rest.

And, yes, it's perfectly normal for many corals to close up/retract at night....
Old 10-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliams View Post
I guess I must be the exceptional case I can never keep Xenia's they will last about 4 months in my tank and disappear. But following along because I just got the taotronics and have not decided on an good lighting schedule yet.
I bought the Taos with the built in timers so it was pretty easy, I have the blues come on at 8:30 am then add in the whites an hour later at 9:30 have both on all day until whites shut off at 8:30 pm and blues an hour later at 9:30, a total of 13 hours. When I first put them up @ 9" above the glass lids over a 24" deep tank, I started at @ 35% on the intensity and would wait 7-10 days before bumping it up another 5%, if I noticed one of my corals starting to react badly I'd knock it back 5% wait a few more days and try again. I think what has worked in my tank as far as the Xenia is I don't have any physical filtration on my tank, no socks or sponges in the sump just lots of live rock and chaeto, most of what I have in my tank is soft corals relying on light and whatever they can grab out of the water, so my feeling is that if I filter the water to well I'll starve out my corals, this may not be accurate but this logic seems to be working at least for now
Old 10-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I didn't think the Taotronics had a timer option... the only ones I saw with with dimmer and without. I think the with dimmers was an extra 50 dollars....

I just bought the dimmer last month, if I knew there was one with a timer option, I would've definitely bought it...
Old 10-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup318 View Post
I didn't think the Taotronics had a timer option... the only ones I saw with with dimmer and without. I think the with dimmers was an extra 50 dollars.... I just bought the dimmer last month, if I knew there was one with a timer option, I would've definitely bought it...
tt- al12 and tt- al16 on amazon, a little pricy but I like them do far

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com