Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

BTW, I think you will be OK, because think of how much a hanging basket weighs, and if you hit a stud, you will be perfect.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post

Could just be because the lights are new. Sometimes LED lighting or any type of new lighting will sometimes omit an order something like a metallic or even sometimes a sulfur odor(more with the energy saving bulbs)

I'd say your fine, not to worry you but it's the fire chief in me. You do have CO detectors in your house right? As well as smoke? Reason I ask is this.

Although CO has no odor, we all know this. Sometimes CO will accompany an odor.

Example. We've gone on numerous CO calls caused by a new cooking pan burning off whatever the manufacturer coats it with.

I know, long boring post, sorry.

To answer you, I'm confident you have nothing to worry about. It's the new light and when the cooling fan kicks on it will exhaust the odor. Should stop after a few days.
Have I ever mentioned that I love fire fighters???? You guys are so very amazing. Thank you.

Anyway. I do have one CO detector and should probably buy another. Today's "burning" smell smelled different than yesterday's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
If you are not certain that you hit a stud, you could always drive a nail a few inches above or below the hanger. If you hit a stud you will know it. If swinging a hammer near your tank sounds a bit risky try a drill instead. If you see wood shavings in your threads then that's a good thing.

If you are not hitting a stud I would use a Molly or toggle bolt. I feel they hold better than the plastic expanding wall hangers. Btw nice light.
Thank you my dear. How do I go about finding a stud without drilling a million holes in my wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
BTW, I think you will be OK, because think of how much a hanging basket weighs, and if you hit a stud, you will be perfect.
They do indeed weigh about the same.

UPDATE: last night about four thirty in the morning, the light fell onto the rocks. The top portion of the bracket came out of the wall. I haven't tried the lights yet to see if they work. Gotta rethink this!

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
bigbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well thank you. You could always get a stud finder.

http://m.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardwar...%7C24372454555

I'd check those lights!

New "burning" smell? No smoke so... I'm gonna stick with the new light theory. You don't have the outlet overloaded right? Your not tripping the breaker so I'll assume that's all in check.

Sorry to hear your light fell in the tank. Guess it wasn't into a stud.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't laugh but this is a pretty good video on "how to find a stud in a wall"

http://youtu.be/XALXlx5cc1s

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good deal! I didn't even know they made stud finders! This girl is off today so back to home depot I go!

Thanks for all your help! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

And thanks for the info on the light. I'm terrified of burning the place down!

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbanker View Post
Good deal! I didn't even know they made stud finders! This girl is off today so back to home depot I go!

Thanks for all your help! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

And thanks for the info on the light. I'm terrified of burning the place down!
Your very welcome

Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Don't laugh but this is a pretty good video on "how to find a stud in a wall"

http://youtu.be/XALXlx5cc1s
Yessss! Lol how amazing is that! Thanks again.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I bent a piece of galvanized conduit, bent it, painted it, and hung this halide from it. I used 2 clips to screw it to the back of the stand. Plenty strong, and I can swing it out of the way if need be.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

UPDATE: using the video I found a stud...... about an inch away from where I put it in the first place -_-'

I did purchase a stud finder just to be sure. I rehung the fixture but have not put the light back up.

I may go the way of Mr x and one other poster though. I like the plant bracket but I'm just really on the fence about it.... even though it was not what failed.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Did you rehang the bracket through the stud? The stud finder comes in handy. I recently mounted a bracket for a 32" flat screen TV...it took all of the guess work out. Good luck with your lights. At least the tank was not filled with water.

Tags
light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com