taotronics lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi my name is bigbanker and I'm terrified of my lights.

Haha.

Anyway. I just hung this guys and I'm not certain if it will hold. The lights came with a hanging kit which included four wires and a clip. Nothing to clip them to. So. I went out and purchased a hanging plant basket hanger. The lights weigh about fifteen pounds. Do you think this is secure???

ForumRunner_20130113_175653.jpg

ForumRunner_20130113_175706.jpg

ForumRunner_20130113_175723.jpg

ForumRunner_20130113_175735.jpg

I like it. Love the mounting bracket btw... Also I see you measured between picture frames also ;)

Like me? A little OCD.

I think you'll be fine. Again looks good.

I assume you hit a stud when you mounted that bracket? I think it will hold up - did it mention the weight it would hold? I am thinking about getting the same lights so Im curios to know how to mount mine...

I mounted mine like this, its an old clothes rail cut up to suit. Then fixed to wall with conduit clips. Really frim hold! Just thought i put this up for some ideas for others took me a while to come up with something i like look of and did the job.

Attachments

• image-2473591281.jpg
    image-2473591281.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 129
My tank is against my wall and behind the tank is half closet door and half wall so I wouldnt be able to mount anything on the wall behind it. I would have to mount to ceiling I guess but would not know what to do. Not that handy. like the t5 brackets would be something I would love to get, but I guess they dont make them for the led set ups since normally they have to be hung a bit higher?

I like it. Love the mounting bracket btw... Also I see you measured between picture frames also ;)

Like me? A little OCD.

I think you'll be fine. Again looks good.

Haha! Thanks man! I trolled the web and couldn't find a ton of info on hanging them. I hate to admit... but I left the light hanging with a couch cushion under just in case it fell!

You know what drives me crazy?? No matter what I can't get the picture on the right straight. So I just refuse to look at it.

I assume you hit a stud when you mounted that bracket? I think it will hold up - did it mention the weight it would hold? I am thinking about getting the same lights so Im curios to know how to mount mine...

I'm not the handiest person but I *think* I hit the stud. I also put the little plastic piece in and screwed that just in case. It didn't have a max weight. Lol! I'm going to weigh one of my plant baskets and the fixture to see the weight in comparison. This bad boy is super bright. Though I have no corals yet I'm excited to see what this fixture does.

I mounted mine like this, its an old clothes rail cut up to suit. Then fixed to wall with conduit clips. Really frim hold! Just thought i put this up for some ideas for others took me a while to come up with something i like look of and did the job.

Very smart!!! Good deal! Will look into it!

My tank is against my wall and behind the tank is half closet door and half wall so I wouldnt be able to mount anything on the wall behind it. I would have to mount to ceiling I guess but would not know what to do. Not that handy. like the t5 brackets would be something I would love to get, but I guess they dont make them for the led set ups since normally they have to be hung a bit higher?

Exactly! I was thinking of the t5 brackets as well. This fixture even on its lowest it is very bright .

Something else. I've read of this fixture catching fire. Has anyone heard of this happening recently?

quick suggestion, you can move the light just 4 to 5 inches higher to eliminate all the shadow area on the sides. Right now it is clear that the two top corner of the tank is dark

Shall do.

I left the lights plugged in , but off, last night. When I woke up this morning the living room smelled metallic. Should this be a concern?

Shall do.

I left the lights plugged in , but off, last night. When I woke up this morning the living room smelled metallic. Should this be a concern?

Could just be because the lights are new. Sometimes LED lighting or any type of new lighting will sometimes omit an order something like a metallic or even sometimes a sulfur odor(more with the energy saving bulbs)

I'd say your fine, not to worry you but it's the fire chief in me. You do have CO detectors in your house right? As well as smoke? Reason I ask is this.

Although CO has no odor, we all know this. Sometimes CO will accompany an odor.

Example. We've gone on numerous CO calls caused by a new cooking pan burning off whatever the manufacturer coats it with.

I know, long boring post, sorry.

To answer you, I'm confident you have nothing to worry about. It's the new light and when the cooling fan kicks on it will exhaust the odor. Should stop after a few days.

If you are not certain that you hit a stud, you could always drive a nail a few inches above or below the hanger. If you hit a stud you will know it. If swinging a hammer near your tank sounds a bit risky try a drill instead. If you see wood shavings in your threads then that's a good thing.

If you are not hitting a stud I would use a Molly or toggle bolt. I feel they hold better than the plastic expanding wall hangers. Btw nice light.

Attachments

• image-3995691495.jpg
    image-3995691495.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 97
BTW, I think you will be OK, because think of how much a hanging basket weighs, and if you hit a stud, you will be perfect.

Could just be because the lights are new. Sometimes LED lighting or any type of new lighting will sometimes omit an order something like a metallic or even sometimes a sulfur odor(more with the energy saving bulbs)

I'd say your fine, not to worry you but it's the fire chief in me. You do have CO detectors in your house right? As well as smoke? Reason I ask is this.

Although CO has no odor, we all know this. Sometimes CO will accompany an odor.

Example. We've gone on numerous CO calls caused by a new cooking pan burning off whatever the manufacturer coats it with.

I know, long boring post, sorry.

To answer you, I'm confident you have nothing to worry about. It's the new light and when the cooling fan kicks on it will exhaust the odor. Should stop after a few days.
Have I ever mentioned that I love fire fighters???? You guys are so very amazing. Thank you.

Anyway. I do have one CO detector and should probably buy another. Today's "burning" smell smelled different than yesterday's.

If you are not certain that you hit a stud, you could always drive a nail a few inches above or below the hanger. If you hit a stud you will know it. If swinging a hammer near your tank sounds a bit risky try a drill instead. If you see wood shavings in your threads then that's a good thing.

If you are not hitting a stud I would use a Molly or toggle bolt. I feel they hold better than the plastic expanding wall hangers. Btw nice light.

Thank you my dear. How do I go about finding a stud without drilling a million holes in my wall?

BTW, I think you will be OK, because think of how much a hanging basket weighs, and if you hit a stud, you will be perfect.

They do indeed weigh about the same.

UPDATE: last night about four thirty in the morning, the light fell onto the rocks. The top portion of the bracket came out of the wall. I haven't tried the lights yet to see if they work. Gotta rethink this!

Well thank you. You could always get a stud finder.

http://m.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardwa...8247|stud finder home depot||SM|e|24372454555

I'd check those lights!

New "burning" smell? No smoke so... I'm gonna stick with the new light theory. You don't have the outlet overloaded right? Your not tripping the breaker so I'll assume that's all in check.

Sorry to hear your light fell in the tank. Guess it wasn't into a stud.

Last edited:
Good deal! I didn't even know they made stud finders! This girl is off today so back to home depot I go!

Thanks for all your help! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

And thanks for the info on the light. I'm terrified of burning the place down!

Good deal! I didn't even know they made stud finders! This girl is off today so back to home depot I go!

Thanks for all your help! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

And thanks for the info on the light. I'm terrified of burning the place down!

Your very welcome :)

I bent a piece of galvanized conduit, bent it, painted it, and hung this halide from it. I used 2 clips to screw it to the back of the stand. Plenty strong, and I can swing it out of the way if need be.
img_2284606_0_cda291f1b0fb261e0c5bd3b8e96372ec.jpg

UPDATE: using the video I found a stud...... about an inch away from where I put it in the first place -_-'

I did purchase a stud finder just to be sure. I rehung the fixture but have not put the light back up.

I may go the way of Mr x and one other poster though. I like the plant bracket but I'm just really on the fence about it.... even though it was not what failed.

Did you rehang the bracket through the stud? The stud finder comes in handy. I recently mounted a bracket for a 32" flat screen TV...it took all of the guess work out. Good luck with your lights. At least the tank was not filled with water.

Back
Top Bottom