Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

taotronics lights

Hi my name is bigbanker and I'm terrified of my lights.

Haha.

Anyway. I just hung this guys and I'm not certain if it will hold. The lights came with a hanging kit which included four wires and a clip. Nothing to clip them to. So. I went out and purchased a hanging plant basket hanger. The lights weigh about fifteen pounds. Do you think this is secure???

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130113_175653.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	144009

Name:	ForumRunner_20130113_175706.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	144010

Name:	ForumRunner_20130113_175723.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	144011

Name:	ForumRunner_20130113_175735.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	144012

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
bigbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like it. Love the mounting bracket btw... Also I see you measured between picture frames also

Like me? A little OCD.

I think you'll be fine. Again looks good.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I assume you hit a stud when you mounted that bracket? I think it will hold up - did it mention the weight it would hold? I am thinking about getting the same lights so Im curios to know how to mount mine...
TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I mounted mine like this, its an old clothes rail cut up to suit. Then fixed to wall with conduit clips. Really frim hold! Just thought i put this up for some ideas for others took me a while to come up with something i like look of and did the job.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2473591281.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	144041  
Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My tank is against my wall and behind the tank is half closet door and half wall so I wouldnt be able to mount anything on the wall behind it. I would have to mount to ceiling I guess but would not know what to do. Not that handy. like the t5 brackets would be something I would love to get, but I guess they dont make them for the led set ups since normally they have to be hung a bit higher?
TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
I like it. Love the mounting bracket btw... Also I see you measured between picture frames also

Like me? A little OCD.

I think you'll be fine. Again looks good.
Haha! Thanks man! I trolled the web and couldn't find a ton of info on hanging them. I hate to admit... but I left the light hanging with a couch cushion under just in case it fell!

You know what drives me crazy?? No matter what I can't get the picture on the right straight. So I just refuse to look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyP View Post
I assume you hit a stud when you mounted that bracket? I think it will hold up - did it mention the weight it would hold? I am thinking about getting the same lights so Im curios to know how to mount mine...
I'm not the handiest person but I *think* I hit the stud. I also put the little plastic piece in and screwed that just in case. It didn't have a max weight. Lol! I'm going to weigh one of my plant baskets and the fixture to see the weight in comparison. This bad boy is super bright. Though I have no corals yet I'm excited to see what this fixture does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick1225 View Post
I mounted mine like this, its an old clothes rail cut up to suit. Then fixed to wall with conduit clips. Really frim hold! Just thought i put this up for some ideas for others took me a while to come up with something i like look of and did the job.

Very smart!!! Good deal! Will look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyP View Post
My tank is against my wall and behind the tank is half closet door and half wall so I wouldnt be able to mount anything on the wall behind it. I would have to mount to ceiling I guess but would not know what to do. Not that handy. like the t5 brackets would be something I would love to get, but I guess they dont make them for the led set ups since normally they have to be hung a bit higher?
Exactly! I was thinking of the t5 brackets as well. This fixture even on its lowest it is very bright .

Something else. I've read of this fixture catching fire. Has anyone heard of this happening recently?

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

quick suggestion, you can move the light just 4 to 5 inches higher to eliminate all the shadow area on the sides. Right now it is clear that the two top corner of the tank is dark
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Shall do.

I left the lights plugged in , but off, last night. When I woke up this morning the living room smelled metallic. Should this be a concern?

Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbanker View Post
Shall do.

I left the lights plugged in , but off, last night. When I woke up this morning the living room smelled metallic. Should this be a concern?
Could just be because the lights are new. Sometimes LED lighting or any type of new lighting will sometimes omit an order something like a metallic or even sometimes a sulfur odor(more with the energy saving bulbs)

I'd say your fine, not to worry you but it's the fire chief in me. You do have CO detectors in your house right? As well as smoke? Reason I ask is this.

Although CO has no odor, we all know this. Sometimes CO will accompany an odor.

Example. We've gone on numerous CO calls caused by a new cooking pan burning off whatever the manufacturer coats it with.

I know, long boring post, sorry.

To answer you, I'm confident you have nothing to worry about. It's the new light and when the cooling fan kicks on it will exhaust the odor. Should stop after a few days.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

If you are not certain that you hit a stud, you could always drive a nail a few inches above or below the hanger. If you hit a stud you will know it. If swinging a hammer near your tank sounds a bit risky try a drill instead. If you see wood shavings in your threads then that's a good thing.

If you are not hitting a stud I would use a Molly or toggle bolt. I feel they hold better than the plastic expanding wall hangers. Btw nice light.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3995691495.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	144206  

Tags
light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com