Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

TDS Meter Recommendations

Hi everyone,

I have a 75gal SW Tank. I would like your input and recommendations for a TDS Meter. If you could provide links I would much appreciate it.

for tagging along and remember I like extra butter

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #2

I got mine shipped from eBay for about $9.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, I saw in a video this guy doing a test of the various "waters". You just dip and read. But it wasn't a stick you dip, like ph strips. It made sense bout the readings, and how it would let me know when to change out media in my RO/DI. But I'm not sure after reading descriptions of which kind I would need or what I'm looking for one to do.

TDS being total dissolved solids, what solids would I need to be watching out for and I can't see where it says the measurements of each solid, or is it a measure of any solid and doesn't matter what kind, just that they are down?

Does one kind measure this kind and another that kind?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 06-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #4

TDS meters measure conductivity. Pure water does not conduct electricity at all. So the more solutes in the water the better it conducts electricity. This is what the TDS meter is actually measuring, not anything in particular. With water to be used for a reef tank you want 0 TDS. This is the goal of any RO or RO/DI system. Distilled water has 0 TDS as well.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for your help. More shopping to get done

Old 06-14-2011, 04:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is the same meter I bought and I love it. I have mine attached to my RO/DI unit and while it is running I turn it on and check the "in" and "out" lines to make sure the numbers are normal (basically to make sure "out" = zero)

HM Digital DM-1 Inline Dual TDS Monitor Tester Meter | eBay

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscamaro View Post
This is the same meter I bought and I love it. I have mine attached to my RO/DI unit and while it is running I turn it on and check the "in" and "out" lines to make sure the numbers are normal (basically to make sure "out" = zero)

HM Digital DM-1 Inline Dual TDS Monitor Tester Meter | eBay
Thanks, anyone else have any experience with this one. This sounds like a good one at a good price.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com