Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2004, 09:26 AM   #1
BD8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Technical Question: Eheim Filters! Someone Help Me Please!

Hi,

I am in the process of upgrading my external filter to either an Eheim Professional 2 or an Eheim Professional Breathing.

I have read about both models, but I don't know which is better. Does anyone have any opinions?

Also, is it worth going for the thermo versions of either? And, can one control the temp via the thermo control, or does it just read the temp?

Any help would be appreciated, as I want to buy one as soon as possible as I just got some very big new fish!

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2004, 10:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very Cool!! How many gallons is your tank and what kind of fish load are you stocking? Also.......have you considered wet/dry?

Old 03-24-2004, 11:43 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I personally don't like to rely on my filter to handle heating duty, but I am just old-fashioned that way! If you can spend the money on the Professional models then I would do so, since it will likely last a couple of decades, from what I have heard.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:36 PM   #4
BD8

That's what my question about! The pro/breathing is the wet/dry, and I am unsure of the advantages.

I think I may go for the Professional 2 2026 as I my tank is mainly stocked with large cichlids and plecs, and I think the wet/dry may get a bit clogged with lots of solid waste. My tank is 60 something gallons. If I got a larger model like the 2028, could I do multiple tanks?
Old 03-24-2004, 01:46 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I don't think the wet-dry would get clogged at all, and is just insurance for your bacterial colonies. That might not be a bad idea for heavy waste producers like you have.

The gallons per hour or however the filter is rated is generally tested without media, so I use the recommended tank size as a "suggestion" but always think the more filtration the better, in most cases. I think I have read that the 2028 is comparable to a Fluval 404, which would be just right for a 60 gal, so the 2028 is the one I would get for your tank.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:13 PM   #6
BD8

I think you may be right on the 2028, I am in the process of ordering now, so do you reckon there is any advantage in getting a wet/dry?
Old 03-24-2004, 02:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Tankgirl here. The wet/dry won't clog and is easily cleaned. In addition, you get a lot more biological filtration for thos big fish.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the 2026 in a 55 gal and I love it - very quiet, no maintenance yet (going on 6 months running).
And Big Als is having a sale! http://www.bigalsonline.com/search/?...;log_id=729691

Some great deals here that include the media.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:59 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Love that maintenance indicator!
Old 03-24-2004, 03:10 PM   #10
BD8

I live in the United Kingdom so I can only dream of cheap prices like that!

I have decided on the 2028, but now an deciding which site to buy from based on the price of the filter media! I might buy the filter from one site and the media from another.

Tags
eheim, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com