Temperature control equipment.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm almost ready to setup up my 40 Gal Reef tank.
The last thing i need is a heater and thermometer.
I had a Rena Cal 300 Watt heater but gave it to a friend in need.

Is there a better unit out there than those?

and are those digital thermometers worth it and which is a good one?
I have always used the visa therm stealth but I heard the ones for bigger tanks dont work as well

what do you suggest?

Thanks.

Get a titanium heater and not a glass one if you can..better quality and you dont have to worry about them breaking.
Also I buy the little digital thermometers from Petsmart. Made by Coralife and are only $5-7. I dont want to spend a lot on one as the coraline grows on the tip of the thermometer and sometimes messes them up...just my experience.

I like the WON Pro-Heat II Titanium IC Heaters. A bit more expensive than some of the other brands but I like the digital display.

That is the thermometer that fishman was talking about. I just got a few of them with my last order.

I have not heard as to one brand being better than another on the heaters...maybe someone else can help with this. Im going to buy one soon myself. I have gone through about 5 glass heaters as they are very fragile.
Yes that is the thermometer I use...very cheap, keep them a year or so and chunk them once they have coraline on them. I dont know that the readings get messed up once the coraline is on them, but I dont take a chance.

o.k. great. that seems like a good deal for that thermometer.

Hey cmor1701d, would you happen to have a link for that heater?

TIA

oh i found it. the price isnt bad for those either.

Anyone else have an opinion or experience with a good heater?

IMO none of them really are reliable. I haven't tried the titanium mentioned but pretty much everything else and all will vary in relation to the room temperature, never holding the temp that the thermostat is set to.

With that being said I find that the only way to keep temps stable in the tank is to find what room temperature keeps the tank there and heat/cool the room with the tank to that temp.

I like the WON II with digital display. I had to rplace a bad hester about 3 months ago and highly recomend them.

I did not find them that much more expensive . I bought a 250w for $29. Very acurate IMO and easy to set and monitor. Always within a degree of my digital thermometer.

Good luck,

Back
Top Bottom