Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Temperature question

I just started my aquarium almost a week ago when I added 2 dwarf gouramis and 3 ghost shrimp but I woke up this morning and one of my fish had died my water parameters were fine when I checked it, I did a 25% water change yesterday and the water tested alright the temperature has been jumping but all within 76-81 degrees. Does anyone know what it could have been?

Old 10-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Messed up heater, or, if your just started running the tank it's not cycled

Old 10-28-2013, 12:57 AM   #3

Tanks been running for about a week now but the waters parameters are good should I wait longer?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl1 View Post
Tanks been running for about a week now but the waters parameters are good should I wait longer?
your tank isnt cycled, meaning no BB (beneficial bacteria) which is necessary for a sustainable tank. Look in the articles on this website there is a tonne about cycling probably! or do a few googles! Also where do you buy your fish from ? Also how big of an aquarium, what filtration?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #5

It's a basic 10g starter kit the filter is the aqua-tech power filter model 5-15 that came with it and i got my fish at petsmart. I just started and haven't found a lfs in El Paso yet
Old 10-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey i have the same tank as you! haha, um so it sounds like your tank wasnt fully cycled which could cause death, but also petsmart can have some pretty un healthy, and poor conditions animals which is just sad! I however only shop there (where im from in canada, they are much better than any LFS)!

From personal experience, i bought 3 albino corys i think from them, or some bottom feeder type thing, and they all died over night for no reason! so just some thought, if i were you id let the aquarium cycle for about 3 more weeks, just so BB is built up!

Oh in case you didnt know, to precerve bb dont rinse your bio-filter part except with tank water so it doesnt die! If you have any more questions dont be afraid to ask or PM me!
Old 10-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You say the water parameters are good - which might mean that cycling is not the problem, but it also depends on what and how you measured. Do you have a test kit that can measure ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? A liquid test kit - strips are not accurate enough.

If it is cycling that is the problem, this article may help understand how to cycle a tank.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Unless you added filter media from an exiting tank, it usually takes about 4 weeks to cycle a tank and get enough bacteria to process all the fish waste.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #8

I have strips for now because I had to order a liquid kit online
Old 10-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I personally don't use carbon. It kills beneficial bacteria. Using sponges in a filter after floss works well. Replace floss when dirty and leave sponge. If sponge gets dirty then rinse with tank water on water changes.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiTank View Post
I personally don't use carbon. It kills beneficial bacteria. Using sponges in a filter after floss works well. Replace floss when dirty and leave sponge. If sponge gets dirty then rinse with tank water on water changes.
agreed!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com