Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tempered glass question for Tetra 29G...

I need some help finding some info. I am building a refugium out of a Tetra 29G tank and want to drill a hole in it but do not know if the tank is tempered. I have searched the web including the Tetra website and cannot find any info on the tank. Does anyone know if this tank is tempered or at least where I could find info on it? I want to use an external pump for return because that is what I have. If it is tempered, would it work if I piped up over the side of the tank into the water? Thanks for the help!!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

usually it is just the bottom that is tempered glass, but I'm not 100% sure if that goes for all tanks

29 gallon south american biotope aquarium - Fluval 205 canister filter, hyder in-line heater, 10 gallon sump (HOB filter, UV steralizer, and stealth heater), GLO T5 HO light, CO2, eco-complete, live plants, drift wood,and neon and black tetras.
bigfish93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Better safe than sorry

I would suggest you contact Tetra directly at http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...qBt6YjctdhIOCQ. They have a contact on this site, and i would rather you get your info direct from the manufacturer, that to hear you now have a long crack all the way across the bottom of your tank.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks. I've been to that website and am currently still waiting on a reply. I intend to drill thru the side of the tank rather than the bottom. I have a question for you refugium users. My refugium will have 3 sections. One with live rock, one that is the "refugium" and one section holding equuipment, skimmer, heater ect. Refugium is in center. Would you have the display tank overflow go into the section with live rock or the other end where the equipment is?
Old 02-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hmmm

You didnt say, do you have an actual mechanical filter in this setup anywhere ??, also just a thought, i rigged up a similar setup once and had a 20 long under my tank with nothing but calurpa in it, and a strong compact flourecent that i ran 12 hrs a day, and that was my last stop before the water went back to the main tank, kinda like a mini- algae scrubber. No stats on how much good that did, but it made me feel better
Old 02-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I intend to build a place on either side that I can place filter pads and charcoal if needed but not sure which side to but it on. I want it on the side that overflows from the display tank but should that be the live rock side or the equipment side?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

If this tank is tempered on side walls, does anyone see a problem with plumbing up over the side of the tank and back down using my external pump? Would consist of about 35-40" of plumbing drawing water vertical about 18 inches.

Tags
29 gallon, glass, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com